Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Hamamatsu City Center: Things to See

Hamamatsu is a medium-sized city in Shizuoka Prefecture. It is located just between Kyoto and Tokyo and near Nagoya and Osaka. It is the home of big Japanese companies namely Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawai. Because of this Hamamatsu is quite progressive but still bordered with natural beauty of lakes, oceans and mountains. 

Vibrant is the first word that came to mind when I stepped in Hamamatsu City. As soon as I got out of the the station, I was bombarded with varied colors and sounds. Hamamatsu is home to a lot of South East Asians, Brazilians, Caucasians and Jamaicans. In the station itself, I have met people from these races which is comforting. At least I know that there are a lot of gaijins like me in this place. 

The Hamamatsu Station also houses May One locally called as Machi. It is large shopping mall offering variety of goods. The Tourist Information Center is directly in front of the Bullet Train Entrance next to the JR Travel and Tours. 

Connected to May One is the upscale Entetsu Mall which offers high-end clothing brands and high-end restaurants. They have an open ground where various activities are held almost weekly. So far, I have seen a Carnival Concert, a ramp modelling show, a choral concert for elders, bazaars of various types, a skateboarding exhibition, a rock concert, etc. The best thing about all these was I saw them all for free. 

Just outside the station is a podium where weekly concerts are held. At night, people use this area to hang out. I usually see high school students sipping their soda on Friday nights beside salarymen and women smoking or simply talking. 

Just below the station and the podium is a Plaza leading to various directions- bus terminal, Act Tower, Asahi place. Even if it's underground, remarkable sculptures can be seen. Almost every Saturday night, I see several groups of old people drinking beers in this area. They just look carefree and young with darkness surrounding them. 

On the left side of the station, across the street is a sprawling and imposing structure called the Act Tower. This is the city's symbol which is shaped like a harmonica. Honestly, I don't see it that way. This is in tribute of the city's musical and artistic inclinations. Act Tower expands several blocks. It houses a viewing deck where the top of Mt. Fuji and the city can be seen. It also houses a hotel, a concert hall, a museum, several shops and offices. Maybe you can just imagine how spacious it is. 

To the South of the Station is a carillon. I'm not sure how often it plays but I usually hear it at 5 pm just before I walk home. It plays an easy sweet music everytime I hear it. 

Hotels, international restaurants and shops surround the area. I always look forward to taking a walk in this area on Saturdays. The sights and sounds along with throngs of people with various colors never fail to entertain and comfort me.  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...