Monday, December 17, 2012

For ALT's: What to Do With Bratty Students

This post was inspired by Diary of an ALT: Class Clones. The writer talked about the different types of students in class including the students I wished I didn't have. One type of the students is the brats. These are the students who are unmotivated, disruptive and undisciplined. In Japan, these are the students who sleeps in class, who does not participate and who grumbles a lot. Any teacher would rather not have these students in class. However, I've experienced that straightening these type of students can be one of the most rewarding projects I can do as a teacher. I have several cases of bratty students who eventually straightened out.

bratty girl
PHOTO CREDIT: http://www.briarcroft.com/lentenmeditations.html

So what did I do? I tried to...

1. Ignore and isolate
This usually works  for students who are disruptive in class. I observed that they are disruptive because they want to seek attention. The more I pay attention to them, the more disruptive they become. So what I do is to pointedly ignore them like they don't exist. I don't look at them or listen to them unless what they're saying are related to the class. Then there are days when I am totally mean. I would ask everybody around them except for the brats. Eventually, they would get the message that nobody appreciates their disruptions so they would stop.

There's this 2nd year student who always talks in Japanese and bluntly says how he hates English, sometimes in the middle of the class. I ignored him for almost two months. I would talk to his classmates, esp to his friends but not to him. Eventually he stopped disrupting although he said he still hates English.

2. Then smile and be kind

After ignoring the brats for sometime, I would then be kinder to them. Suddenly, I would be smiling and talking to them. I would do this when they have minimized their unwanted behavior. The thing about brats is that most of them can actually control their negative behaviors. They're not like ADHD students who have a hard time controlling what they do.

There's another student in the second year who does not talk, does not do his worksheets and just stares at me angrily. I ignored him for a few weeks then smiled at him when I had lunch with their class. I also requested to eat lunch near him. After that, he smiled at me and even complimented my eyeglasses. He would also say "Konnichiwa" whenever we meet in the hallway.

3. Find something to compliment about

Compliments are powerful esp. with brats who are in reality hungry for affirmation. I learned that most brats are really kind and sensitive but they have been hurt. Their brattiness is just a mask of their insecurities. So far, I have never known a student who is just plain mean for no reason. Giving a sincere compliment to a brat means a lot to him. He may shrug it off but in reality, it meant something for him. I also learned that you cannot fool a brat. I never give untrue compliments just to for the sake of complimenting.

A girl in one of my third year classes would always sleep in class. When the teacher wakes her up she would just stare at the teacher then sleep again. One day while she's miraculously awake during class, I praised her drawings which are really detailed and good. Then whenever I meet her in the hallway, I try to find something to compliment about like her hair. After several months, she is mostly awake during class and would now greet me before class starts.

4. Help them during seatworks and other exercises

Some students are brats because they just can't understand the lessons. Their disruption is a cover of their difficulties in their studies. They don't understand and they don't want to try so they disrupt. The best thing to do is help them once you gain their respect. I try to make them feel that it's okay even if they don't know. What's important is they try. However, some students tend to depend on the teacher's help so it's important to also balance things out.

I had a lot of students who do not participate and do not do their work because they don't know. During worksheet time, they would talk with their peers, sleep, doodle or read mangas. I always go to these students to help them out in the first items. Before they know it, they have finished the worksheet.

5. Have genuine interest for the students

I believe that ultimately, teachers who have genuine interest for the students would find ways to help them straighten out. There's no clear cut formula for bratty students. Some students' brattiness can be killed with kindess. Some needs an iron hand. The bottom line is that whatever you do, think of the student's welfare and not just because you feel like being mean or being Mother Theresa. I am a very calm and friendly person but there are times when I really have to be strict. It's not easy but it's necessary at times.

A change in a student's behavior will take some time- days, weeks and even months. But in all my experiences, just when I decided to give up on a student, something would come up to inspire me again- a smile, a good output, a nice word, a raised hand. Then, I would keep going again and believe that at the end of the school year, I have done something good to a bratty student.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...