Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Getting Old in Japan

Before coming to Japan, my image of old age is a collage of gardening activities, sitting on a rocking chair, knitting until the eyes dim, taking care of grandchildren and lying on a deathbed. I fear old age because of these images. I always thought that old age is a period of respite and retirement. But coming to Japan gave a me a healthier perspective of how old age should be. 

old Japanese woman
PHOTO CREDIT: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4061/5-Food-Lessons-From-Japan-for-a-Healthier-Life.html

When I get old, I promise myself I would do what the old Japanese people do. 

1. I will still go to fitness clubs and attend my yoga classes

I like working out so I enrolled in a fitness club in Japan. I shamefully admit that I initially chuckle at the sight of old women in skimpy outfits working out, swimming and doing yoga. But later on, I realizes that I am the one who's supposed to be ashamed. I was surprised that women in their 60's and 70's can actually lift heavier weights than I do. They can also do yoga poses more easily than I do. They swim faster and smoothly. I admire their strength and their desire to maintain fitness. So yes,  as long as I can do these, I will not be ashamed to work out, do yoga and join body pump classes when I get old. 

2. I will still travel alone and ride my bike

I have never seen an old man or woman riding a bike in the Philippines. So I thought that biking is for younger people. It's amazing how the old people ride their bikes here with tons of groceries in in their bike baskets. They ride more confidently than I do even on windy days. Also, a lot of old people still travel alone without chaperone. They would just lug their things on a stroller to ease the burden of carrying things. The good thing about this is that you can see also how the younger generation help the old ones. 

3. I will still work

Whoever thought that 60 is the age of retirement has a narrow view of working. At first, I felt uncomfortable looking at old people working as cashiers, Mc Donald crews, waiters, etc. I thought to myself that they should be resting already. But then again, I realized that if I was in their position I would also work until I die if I can. I don't like to stay at home while waiting for visitors or on the rocking chair waiting for death. I think work gives people purpose and I believe that purpose lengthens life. So as long as I can still do my job, I will work. And I sincerely salute the companies who give chances to old people to work when they can hire younger ones.

4. I will still dress up 

Japanese women are fashion fanatics even in their old age. At first,  I find old dressy women hilarious. But I come to see the confidence these old women have. The bottom line is it's their fashion sense. As long as they don't show any indecent body parts, they can go ahead and dress however they want. I think I will also do the same. 

The greatest thing I learned about old age here is that getting old doesn't mean preparing for your death but rather living more for your remaining years. 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...