Monday, December 10, 2012

How to Get Free Japanese Classes

Only a handful of people I've met can actually carry a conversation in English. Worse, some Japanese barely knows what I was asking or telling them. The Japanese I know are just the basic ones that I can only talk with babies. The language barrier is such a challenge that I have contemplated to take private Japanese classes. Good thing that before I got a private tutor, a friend told me that almost all Ward Offices in Japan can recommend free Japanese classes.

Japanese letter system
photo credit: http://mikeolotaku.wordpress.com/tag/japanese/

So how can you find free Japanese classes? 

1. Inquire at your nearest Ward Office
The best people to ask are those from the Ward Office. Just drop by at the information counter and ask if they have Japanese classes. As I've said, most ward offices and prefectures provide free Japanese classes for foreigners. Most of the classes I know are during the weekends. 

In Hamamatsu, I used to attend the Japanese classes in Zaza City. It's every Sunday from 10:00 to 12:00. 
2. Look for foreign-support organizations in your place

If there are a number of foreigners around your area, chances are there are organizations that provide free Japanese classes and other forms of support for foreigners. Browse the internet, ask foreigners if they study, ask your company. A good place to also ask is the tourist information center at the main station of your city or prefecture. This is how I learned about the Japanese class I am attending. 

In Hamamatsu, Japanese classes are offered every Saturday night at 6 pm to 8:30 pm at HICE. 

3. Engage in exchange language conversations

In almost 6 months that I've been here, a number of Japanese have approached me for language exchange. I would help them learn English and they would help me learn Japanese. All for free. We would just meet up in some place depending on our availability. When doing this, it is important that both of you are decided to learn. The drawback of this set-up is that you have to think of what you want to learn esp. if the other person  is not really a teacher. The best thing is that you get to have new friends. 

4. Learn from the internet and TV

The internet has a rich source of materials for learning. I used the internet for learning Katakana and Hiragana . I also used it to theoretically understand the structure of the Japanese language. As for the TV, NHK (a Japanese TV station) has several programs for foreigners airing basic Japanese lessons. 

The key to learning Japanese for free is resourcefulness coupled with discipline. I must admit that it took me sometime to be decisive in learning. There are also days when I'd like to skip classes. It takes resolve to really set my heart to learn Japanese. I would suggest that you don't only go to your classes for the sole purpose of learning Japanese. Open your heart to new friendships. My friends in my classes are the same people who prods me to come to class.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...