Thursday, January 10, 2013

New Year's Wish in Japan: Kakizome

"Kakizome (ζ›Έγεˆγ‚, literally "first writing") is a Japanese term for the first calligraphy written at the beginning of a year, traditionally on January 2."
- Wikipedia

Kakizomes
photo credit: http://japankalligrafia.hu/book/export/html/372

After the winter break, the classrooms are decorated with white paper scrolls with Japanese characters on them. They are called kakizome. Based on how I understood the students explanation to me, their kakizomes are like personal prayers for the coming year. It is personal but applicable to a lot of people. It is not something like a Christmas wish. It's deeper than that.

(See more New Year tradtions in Japan here)

Taking advantage of the displays, I asked the students to try to translate their kakizomes in English. 

Here are some of the kakizome's of students: 

1. I wish for a clean heart and pure heart. (Special Ed. student)

2. I wish for a beautiful land. (First year student)

3. I wish for peace in the nation. (Third year student)

4. I wish for prosperity and richness to all people. (Third year student)

5. I wish for an enjoyable school life for all students. (Second year)

6. I wish for harmony and friendship among people. (Second year)

7. I wish for safety of Japan. (First year student)

8. I wish for clear mind and healthy body to all students. (Second year)

The list could go on (since there are hundreds of students in the school.) but I was just struck by the depth of these students's wishes. Even the naughty and rowdy students wrote serious kakizomes. I like this better than writing New Year`s resolutions. It seems a more positive way to start the year. It is also a very unselfish way to wish for everyone's welfare. I wished I could have written my own kakizome. How about you, what would be your kakizome this year? 

For more on Kakizome: 

1. http://japankalligrafia.hu/book/export/html/372

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakizome

3. http://traditionscustoms.com/lifestyle/kakizome

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...