Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Places to Meet English-Speaking Foreigners in Japan

I met two ladies lately who are living reclusively when they came to Japan. They were sociable people back in the US but they have learned to live in 'isolation' here in Japan. One of them would always look forward to long weekends because she can go to her boyfriend in Yokohama (which is very far from Hamamatsu.) Other than that, she just stays at home on weekends on Skype. What's even more surprising for me is that the only place she has been to in Hamamatsu is the Station. She also hasn't eaten in some popular places in the area. The other girl knows some people in Japan but they are not in Hamamatsu. So, she also stays home on weekends and chat on Skype all day. She tries to hang out with some Japanese people but she feels quite frustrated in dealing with them due to language barriers.
Both ladies told me how they miss interacting with people in person who can understand English. I can feel their frustration because I have been in their situation the first two months that I was here. No friends to hang out with, no plans on the weekend, no life other than Skype .It wasn't only until I begin to take steps in knowing people that I established a social circle. 

For me, here are the best places to meet English-speaking people in Japan: 

1. Your Company
I think most companies who hire foreigners also have other employees who can speak English. Be friendly at the workplace and try to spot people who can speak English. In my case, I asked people in the office if there are other ALT's living near me. One of the staff was kind enough to introduce me to another ALT. That other ALT became my gateway to meet other English-speaking people. 

2. Starbucks 
photo credit: http://www.edgemontvillage.com/starbucks/
I only hanged out at Starbucks twice alone. In both times, I've met people who eventually became my friends. I did not plan to meet people but I did and I am grateful. In my recollection, I just stayed on a seat next to some foreigners. I smiled at them and before we knew it we're already talking. They key here is to find friendly faces who seem open to a conversation. So why in Starbucks anyway? I think it's because Starbucks is a familiar place for foreigners that a lot of them hang out there.  

3. Churches 
Hamamatsu Church of the Savior, the church I go to every Sunday
photo credit: http://hskchurch.com/
A church with an English-speaking service is the best place to meet people, I think. Half of the people that I hang out with most of the time are people whom I met in the church. What's even great is that we share the same faith. If you are an atheist or not really religious, I would still recommend to try finding a church if only for the sake of meeting other people. I think churches in Japan acknowledge how people go to church not only for spiritual reasons but also to socialize. Almost every Sunday, churches have some programs or celebrations after the mass or service. This gives them a reason to stay longer in the church and get to know others. 


4. Japanese Classes

photo credit: http://www.saultcareercentre.ca/2012/01/japanese-classes-starting-in-january/
You're certain to meet foreigners if you attend Japanese classes. Most of you are foreigners for sure. However, not everyone can speak in English. Based on experience, only few Americans and British attend Japanese classes. But even so, I'm still happy to meet other foreigners. We usually go out after the classes and practice what we have learned. 

(See Free Japanese Classes, here.)

I'm not very friendly back in my country. But the isolation I felt here stirred up the sleeping Ms. Congeniality in me. I became less suspicious and more open to people. I learned to take opportunities to make friends. I began to initiate speaking to people. I know that if I wasn't willing to take these steps, I would still be a lone ranger in Japan just like the two ladies I've met.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...