Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Affordable Dining in Japan

I love eating out if only for the excuse of not tasting my own cooking. I eat out to hang out with friends, when I'm craving for something "not Japanese" and, as I've said, when I am tired of my own culinary efforts. However, I have to make sure that when I eat out, the food would be worth every penny- or yen- that I have.

So far here are my top places to dine out on the basis of good food and affordability:

1. Gusto Steak House


photo credit: http://www.thefoodpursuit.com/cafe-restaurant-gusto-tokyo-japan/
This family restaurant has branches all over Japan. Their specialty, you guess it, is steak. Though I am not a steak person, I often visit this place for their salad bar. When my friends and I are ravenous, this is the best place to be. For just 700 Yen, you have rice with 2 choices of curry, various fruits and salad ingredients, bread and butter, and 2 choices of soup. And these are all eat-all-you-can. I especially like their garlic rice and coffee jelly.  

2. Saizeriya


photo credit: http://www.maruetsu-kaihatsu.co.jp/mstown/misato_chuo/shoplist/
When craving for something Italian, Saizeriya is the place to be. They also have branches all over Japan so whenever I go to other places, seeing a Saizeriya is like a comfort place for me. They serve various types of pasta, steaks and dishes best paired with rice. They also serve cheap wine- 100 Yen for one full goblet of wine. I  love their carbonara and lasagna. As for steak, I enjoy the ones with cheesy topping and the one with salsa. Their gratin is also something to look forward to. Steaks range from 600 to 900 Yen. Pasta ranges from 300 to 600 Yen. 

3. Chikarameshi


photo credit: http://tokyobelly.blogspot.jp/2012/03/shibuya-chikara-meshi-3-great-grilled.html
I've only eaten here twice since their stores are mostly in Tokyo. But their meat toppings are really delicious. They mostly serve bowls of rice topped with meat- beef, pork, chicken. This is much like the menu of Yoshinoya and Sukiya but with more interesting combination. Their meat is more flavorful and juicy. Prices range from 300 Yen to about 800 Yen. Rice bowls is usually served with soup. 

4. Yoshinoya


photo credit: http://twkeats.blogspot.jp/2011/12/yoshinoya-japan.html
I am a fan of Yoshinoya even back in the Philippines. I love their beef strips coupled with some coleslaw. During my first weeks in Japan, I eat Yoshinoya when I feel I have enough of "Japanese food." Yoshinoya is all over Japan. Price range from 300 to 700 Yen.

(For more places in Japan, click here.)


Most of Westerner friends said that eating out in Japan is actually cheaper. A Japanese friend also mentioned that she and her husband would rather eat out with friends than invite them over. She said that the cost of hosting a dinner is almost the same as treating them out for dinner minus the efforts.  As for me, I love to eat out as long as I am not going broke.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...