Monday, February 18, 2013

Indoor Shoes Craze: Footwear in Japan

In Japan, any footwear used outdoors is not welcome indoors. This helps minimizing dirt from the outside.

I have two indoor shoes in the school where I worked. As soon as I enter the school building every morning, I have to take of my outdoor shoes and changed to my indoor ones. Then a different pair of shoes should be worn in the gym. In some schools, toilet slippers should be worn when using the - toilet. In fact, all schools have a "shoe changing" section for students and for teachers. 

Office workers wearing leather shoes and heels also change to comfortable indoor footwear once in the office.

indoor house slippers
Photo Credit: http://www.toboc.com/qdsunchic/company-products.aspx

In every Japanese home, you'll find lots of indoor slippers for guests. It is certainly disrespectful to wear outside footwear inside a host's house. 

Even in the fitness club where I work out regularly, I have to use my sports shoes exclusively indoors. Repeatedly wearing outdoor shoes indoors is a ground for membership expulsion. 

Most shopping malls do not allow outdoor shoes in the fitting rooms. Some malls provide "fitting room" shoes while others would simply advise you to remove your shoes. 

There were even a few restaurants that do not allow outdoor footwear. Customers must change to the slippers provided by the place. 

Even in footwear, the Japanese reflects their very "specific" mind-  that there is a particular thing for every particular situation. 





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...