Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Masked Men... and Women: The Influenza Virus in Japanese Public Schools

Two Wednesdays ago, I was puzzled why it seems almost all the teachers have surgical masks. In the classrooms, almost all the students also have masks. I actually felt left out for not wearing one. I found out later that day that there's an influenza epidemic all throughout Japan. Even U.S. and Korea are also on high alert for the epidemic. And this happens almost every winter time. Winter season is flu season.

photo credit: http://vanfullofcandy.wordpress.com/category/end-of-the-world/

Schools closely monitor the spread of virus much in the same way how the Philippines monitor dengue. Students are highly-encouraged to wear masks. Because almost everyone has a mask, I don't need one. A teacher is also assigned to monitor students who are absent because of flu. There's a graph in the teacher's room that charts the number of influenza victims. Then there's rubbing alcohol in all classrooms. Rubbing alcohol is not common in Japan so I was surprised that rubbing alcohol seems to be just everywhere in the school. In some extreme cases when there are too many influenza victims, a class, a grade level or even a whole school can will be suspended for a week or two. This is to stop the spread of virus. 

(How to use the National Health Card, here)

Interestingly, most students and teachers in my school do not have flu shots. I've asked almost all the teachers and just about 2 out of 40+ teachers got flu shots. The vice-principal said that flu shots are too expensive. I had one before I came to Japan so I guess it's keeping me healthy. Also, they are not fond of taking Vitamin C's. No wonder the virus spreads rapidly. 

I would have also worn a mask for protection. But with almost all the people around me wearing one, I don't think I need to. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...