Tuesday, February 26, 2013

There is Always Dignity in Working: Odd Jobs in Japan

It wouldn't be exaggerating to say that the Japanese has the one of the most excellent work ethics. They don't complain with overtime. They are known to be punctual, submissive, loyal and organized. But more than these,  what I have noticed that impressed me is how they put dignity in their work- even the odd jobs.

Street enforcers
photo credit: http://www.hyogoajet.net/hyogotimes/2010/09/03/only-in-japan/

It is easy to act dignified if you are working in an office wearing smart clothes and knowing that you have a "good job." But to do a blue-collar job and act dignified while working is another thing, I think. The Japanese have done that though. I have never seen doormen, street people, drivers and cleaners act with dignity and pride in their work as the Japanese are. I have never seen, yet, a Japanese driver who looks lousy or a cleaner who looks stressed out. They are almost always polite. Their actions seem to convey "This is my job and it is important."
Probably some of them don't like their jobs like a lot of people do. I'm sure the traffic enforcer that I see everyday would rather be home in this cold weather. Or that the old man who cleans the school would rather retire or tend his garden. Or the cute young driver would rather be someplace than in the bus. Regardless of what they feel, I have yet to see a Japanese worker who looks totally ungrateful of his job. They always seem to be "into" their work. For me, they invite respect even if they are odd-jobs workers. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...