Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Chocolate Overload: White Day in Japan

Some of my male students are saying "Faye Sensei, do you like choco?" for several days now. At first, I didn't know why they are asking for chocolates. One of the teachers who heard the students explained to me that they are asking if I like chocolates because it's going to be White Day in a few days time- tomorrow as of this writing in fact.

cute bear-shaped chocolate 
I had heard of White Day several years ago when I started teaching Korean students. White Day is celebrated on March 14th, a month just after Valentines Day. It is the time when men and boys gave gifts to women and girls. White Day is only celebrated in Japan, Korea, Taiwan and maybe China.

kawai animal chocolates

Based on my internet research, this White Day celebration in Japan was started by a marshmallow maker in Fukuoka. He urged the men to return the favor when girls gave them chocolates and other sweet treats on Valentines. Eventually other confectioners followed suit. Initially they only gave white chocolates. Hence, White Day. Presently, dark chocolates and other things are given. 

(More on Japanese Celebrations, here)

fruit chocolates

Interestingly there are three types of chocolates given on White Day. First is the giri-choco. These are chocolates given to girls who gave something to a man last Valentines Day. These chocolates are obligatory with no romantic inclinations. The second one is the honmei-choco. These are special chocolates given to girls whom the man likes romantically. The last one is the tomo-choco which are chocolates given to friends.

(More on Japanese customs, here) 

planet chocolates
I asked a female teacher how they distinguish what category does a given chocolate fall into. She said it's a matter of guessing. Usually when the chocolates are expensive and beautifully-presented, it must be honmei-choco. Simple chocolates are either giri-choco or tomo-choco. She added that sometimes it can be confusing like if  a guy gave you a lovely giri-choco, you may assume it is honmei-choco. 

more and more chocolates

I hope to receive tomo-choco tomorrow on White Day! I love chocolates and I love it even more if they came from my students. It would mean they consider me their friend. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...