Wednesday, March 6, 2013

My First Onsen Experience

It took me sometime before I finally agreed to go with my aunt in an onsen. Onsen is the Japanese word for hot spring. Most onsens are public baths. Since it's a bathing place, people are naked as a newborn babe. I'm not comfortable being naked especially with Japanese women who have flawlessly fair skin. I just agreed to my aunt after she drove me to my new place. It was a four-hour drive and she was complaining of tired muscles, joints, ligaments, and every part and crevice of her body.

onsen at Bentenjima
photo credit: http://www.gamagorich.com/kts_en/to/pool.html

Even during the drive to the onsen, I was still hesitant. I keep telling my aunt that I would just wait for her no matter how long. I am still not ready to bare in public. She wouldn't budge and emotionally blackmailed me by pretending to agree but stayed silently sulking. I don't want to be an ungrateful wench so I finally, finally entered the onsen.

(More on Hamamatsu Hot Spring, here.)

If I were a guy, the women's onsen is a sight to behold. Slender and lithe bodies, flabby and plump ones; white and pink skins, wrinkled and smooth ones. Women of all ages and sizes comfortably roamed naked in the onsen. All of them are Japanese with their fair and flawless skins.  My aunt and I stand out in the midst of these lily-white bodies. I have never felt so insecure in my life. Why wouldn't I when even the old ladies have better-looking skins than I do.

As I shed my clothes, I kept an eye to the other people. I want to make sure no one's ogling. Ironically, I am actually the one who's doing that. I covertly looked at them. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody will scream "Pervert!" I tried my best not to look but it takes some effort. Besides, I am looking because I can't believe how women's body can be the same but yet totally different. I was actually fascinated without any hint of malice. No wonder artists do not get tired of immortalizing women's naked or semi-naked bodies in various art forms.

A funny scene also happened in the dressing area. Some Japanese women are laughing because a small girl was looking curiously at a young boy's body. Maybe she's thinking what is that tiny little thing dangling between the boy's legs.

I would have run the short distance between the dressing area to the bathing area if not for the danger of wet floors. As soon as I opened the doors to the bathing area, I could already feel the relaxing benefits of the water. I took a quick cold shower and dipped myself immediately in the hot pool. It felt initially scalding hot. It takes a few minutes for the body to adjust and when it does, the experience was zen. It was so relaxing I stopped looking at other women and just close my eyes.

After about 20 minutes, I complained to my aunt that I feel short of breath and my head feels heavy. It was the effect of the hot water. I should have gotten out every 10 to 15 minutes, pour some cold water then dip myself again. I did what she said including shampoo my hair for a lot of times, soap and scrub my body until my skin was red all over. There was a shampoo and soap bar that offers various hair and body products. I must tried half of it!

After more than an hour, my aunt got tired to bathing and decided to go home. I was so serenely happy that I went with her. I feel relaxed. I experience a very "Japanese thing." And next time, I know I won't stare anymore.







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...