Monday, March 11, 2013

Short Passion: Japanese Obsession's with Shorts

I came to Japan just before summertime when the weather was getting hot and humid. Thus, I wasn't surprised to see young and old Japanese women wearing shorts of unbelievable "shortness" in just about everywhere. I know men don't mind seeing all these women shorts with their fair and flawless legs. Then came the bone-chilling Japan winter. Puzzling me is that these women still wear shorts. With me wearing two layers of pants, I can't comprehend why these women still wear shorts. It doesn't matter even if they are shivering or even if their pores are screaming with the cold. They just have to wear shorts!

photo credit: http://sinowww.collected.info/ajax/showfeeds/sinowww/40//g
(For more on Japanese winter, click here)

Interestingly though is that I rarely- as in rarely, see women with revealing tops. Even during the summer when I wore sleeveless and low-neck tops, Japanese women wore layers of  tops. As I recall, I have never seen a Japanese woman wearing a lone sleeveless top last summer. It was only with revealing their legs that they are obsessed with and not the top portion of their bodies.

I thought that perhaps Japanese women wear shorts because they have great legs. Most women have unflabby and flawless legs. Even women with 2 or 3 kids have slim legs it's amazing how they maintain it after giving birth. I also thought that perhaps Japanese women don't wear revealing tops because they have nothing to reveal. Asians are not really gifted with enticingly-sized mammary glands.

I told my theories to a Japanese student and she just chuckled at me. I asked her why she personally like to wear shorts- even in winter. She said that aside from being fashionable, wearing shorts is the only socially acceptable way to look sexy. Revealing parts of the upper body such as too much arms, neck and cleavage is not really acceptable. She thinks it's too sexy. She explained further that both male and female have legs but male and female have different upper bodies. I think she has a good point there.

(More on Japanese society here)

As for why she still wear shorts in winter, she's also wondering why. She just thinks it's fashionable though not necessarily comfortable.   
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...