Monday, May 20, 2013

Las Chillonas Mexican Restaurant in Hamamatsu: Good Break from the Usual

It's easy to find Italian, Indian, French, Chinese, Korean and Philippine Cuisine in Hamamatsu. The area around the Hamamatsu Station is surrounded by various restos of these kind. A Mexican Restaurant is a different story. In almost a year of my stay here I only got to eat in one Mexican Restaurant- Las Chillonas.

Las Chillonas!

Las Chillonas is a family-owned little restaurant tucked in the quiet street of Motohoma-cho. It's situated on the first floor of a Hispanic family's house. It's safe to assume that the second floor is their living quarters.

The facade and interior of the restaurant are nothing fancy. You can't miss it though with it's orange walls that stands out along the neighborhood. It's reminiscent of cheap restos in Mejico and sidewalk food places. Though there's nothing grand about the place, it's clean and presentable including the toilet. 

interior of Las Chillonas
The menu is in Spanish and in Japanese. Since I have little knowledge of Spanish, I can understand most of the words. I think some food terms are common so it wouldn't be really difficult for English speakers to choose. (Eg: burrito, taco, nachos, etc.) The menu has pictures so you'll get a picture of what you can get anyway. 

My friend and I ordered some nachos for appetizer. The toppings are just okay though I wish they could have added more cheese. The nachos are also a bit stale. It's not as crispy as I would want it to be. Nonetheless, we finished them. 

Some Nacho Lovin'
I had a Chimichanga. It's a mixture of meat and vegetables wrapped in crepe. I had chicken Chimichanga but I think beef would taste better. Mine wasn't as flavorful as I hoped it would be. It's still good though especially with a small drop of hot sauce. The serving was kinda big for me I only finished 2 thirds of it. 

(More on Places in Japan, here.)

Chicken Chimichanga

My friend had tacos. They're delicious. That's it!

It's also great to note that the place has vegetable offerings so even vegetarians can dine at Las Chillonas. 

Beef taco
For drinks, I recommend trying Jamaica or Tamarind drinks. Both are uniquely tasteful and smooth I can't choose which I like better. There are also alcoholic drinks which I haven't tried. They have a small bar with various wines and liquors.  

The staff is courteous on the average. Prices are reasonable. The only downside of this place is their unpredictable opening times. They are not open regularly so check first before coming. 

Their contact number is 053-482-9484. 

How to get there: 

1. You can walk from Zaza City for 20-30 minutes. In this case, you'll be needing a Google Map. 
2. Take the Entestu Line from Hamamatsu Station. Get off at Hachiman Station, the third station from Hamamatsu. It's a five-minute walk from Hachiman Station. 

Las Chillonas
Restaurante Mexico
Address: 430-0942 Shizuoka-ken, Hamamatsu-shi, Naka-ku, Motohama-cho 290-4
Tel: 053-482-9484
Lunch hours: Monday – Friday, 11:00 am – 2:00 pm
Dinner hours: Wednesday – Saturday, 5:00 pm – 12:00 am





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...