Monday, June 3, 2013

Going Solo in Kyoto: Part 1- Morning in Arashiyama

To celebrate my first year in Japan, I took a day tour in Kyoto. Two reasons why Kyoto- I've never been there and I feel like a loser for haven't been there since it's a "must-see" place in Japan after Tokyo.

Boarding an overnight bus from Hamamatsu on May 31st, my short trip started. Travelling by bus is one of the cheapest means but to do it overnight is almost a misery. I was half-conscious while sleeping so I didn't sleep really well. The reclining chair wasn't too comfortable and to top it all, the guy behind me snored quite loudly. I just have to thank God that I arrived safely at Kyoto station before 5 am. 

So what did I do at 5 am in the station? Took some pictures, explored the nearby sleeping areas, had breakfast and tried to talk to some Japanese girls. Good thing that Kyoto Station is quite impressive it made me excited to start my sightseeing. 


Kyoto Tower overlooking a temple

breakfast at Cafe Veloce beside the Kyoto Post Office
(very affordable food!)

A few minutes past 7, I boarded a train going to Arashiyama. It's the train bound for Kamaoka. The fare is 230 Yen.

Arashiyama is in the Western part of Kyoto, a touristy district with several temples and natural sights. I got off at Saga-Arashiyama station. There's a map just across the stairs of the station so visitors can navigate the district on their own. 

SL and Piano Museum at Saga-Arashiyama Station
(I don't know why their display is like that)

A narrow street just beside the Piano Museum leads to the road going to the Tenryu-ji (a temple), Togetsukyo Bridge and the Bamboo Groves. There are signs but they are in Japanese. A kind lady helped me figure out where I was supposed to go when she saw me looking puzzled perhaps. 

From the end of the street, the Tenryu-ji Temple is a few blocks away on the left. I didn't find it impressive maybe because I've seen a lot of Japanese temples already. There was also an ongoing construction on the main temple. I visited it because it's a World Heritage Site and it's one my way to the Togetsukyo Bridge. And oh there's no entrance fee so might as well see the place. 

a statue in Tenryuji 

interior of one of the temples in Tenryuji 
From Tenryu-ji, I continued walking seeing the Togetsukyo Bridge just a few minutes away from me. This bridge is supposed to offer a spectacular view of mountains. When I reached the bridge, the view was lovely but not as majestic as I have expected. I think that the best time to appreciate this place is on spring and autumn when everything is filled with colors. 

The Togetsukyo Bridge after the spring

A view from the park below Togetsukyo Bridge
Going on the opposite direction, I headed to the bamboo groves. This is my favorite place in Arashiyama. The bamboo trail has a misty glow to it. I feel like I was being led to a mystical place. The downside was I had a bike with me. I rented a bike for 1000 Yen thinking that I had to walk a good deal. I wish I hadn't because the bamboo trail was uphill. 

The Bamboo Groves in Arashiyama
There were other spots and lots of temples in the Arashiyama district. It would take a day at least to see everything. Since I didn't have the luxury of a day, I finished my tour in the bamboo groves and head back to Kyoto Station and go to my next stop- the Inari Shrine. 




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...