Friday, June 7, 2013

Going Solo in Kyoto: Part 3- Temple Hopping

It's hard to miss temples in Kyoto for they are just about everywhere. I feel like in every turn in the corner, a temple pops up. Because there are just so many temples to see and each claiming its significance in Japanese history, it's important to decide what temples you'd like to see.

I considered two things. I have to see the Kinkakuji Temple- the temple covered in gold dust and I'll also look at the temples around that area. The other ones, maybe I can see them next time. Japan Guide has a great guide on where to go and how to get around in Kyoto. 

From Kyoto Station, buses are available to different temple districts. Bus guides in English are all around the bus terminal so it's easy to know which bus to take. 

A one-day bus pass worth 500 Yen for adults is available at the bus station. This can only be used on the City Buses and not on the JR Buses. 

Kyo-Ramen
After having a brief lunch of Kyo-ramen at the Kyoto Station, I marched to the bus terminal and boarded a bus to Kinkakuji. The ride is about 40 minutes with 230 Yen fare. Bus announcements are also translated in English so English-speaking tourists would know where to get off. 

(Going Solo in Kyoto Parts 1 and 2 here)

From the bus stop, the temple entrance is a 3-minute walk. Entrance is 400 Yen. The temple is truly worth the 40-minute bus ride. It was lovely sitting amidst a pond with a mountain backdrop. It was cloudy when I visited but I'm sure it would look stunning in a hot midday afternoon sun. I could imagine the golden glow of the temple. 

Kinkakuji Temple
(Kin means gold in Japanese)

Close Up of Kinkakuji
After almost an hour in Kinkakuji, I headed to the next temple which is Ryoanji. From Kinkakuji, board a bus passing the street in front of the temple. I was planning to walk up there but I'm glad I didn't because it's quite far for a walk. 

Ryoanji boasts of its Zen Rock Garden. The entrance is 500 Yen which I regret paying. The Rock Garden was a disappointment for me. It was small (probably just the same size as my Leo Palace Apartment.) I also some of the other foreigners with their disappointed faces. 

Ryoanji's Zen Rock Garden

temple interior at Ryoanji

After that disappointing visit, I walked towards Ninnanji Temple. It's a 15-minute walk from Ryoanji. There's a bus going there but it's not as often, I think. Entrance is 500 Yen which is a fair price for the sights you'll see. 

The temple garden was spacious peppered with small temples. There's also the historic five-story pagoda. And the Zen Garden of the main temple was soothing and relaxing. 

Kyoto's five-story pagoda

Ninnanji Temple's Garden
(Bigger and better than Ryoanji's)

Top view of Ninnanji's Temple Garden

After more than an hour, I left Ninnanji and head back to Kyoto Station. I would have loved to see Ginkakuji Temple (It's the silver temple.) and the geisha house next time. But for this trip, I had seen enough of temples and I had to be back to Hamamatsu by 8 pm. 

(More of Places in Japan, here)

I was glad I had my first year celebration in Kyoto. It was the perfect place to feel that I am truly in Japan. 







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...