Friday, April 4, 2014

Going to the Hairdresser in Japan

I can't put this off any longer. Something has to be done soon. I just can't close my eyes to this and pretend that everything will be alright. No, my hair is definitely out of shape and I already need to get a haircut!

I feel for you kid! I know exactly how you feel about your hair. ^_^
credit: http://beautyeditor.ca
I haven't visited a hairdresser in Japan for the 18 months that I was living here. Why? It's so freaking expensive! The average cost for a haircut with considerable style is 4,000 Yen. I can't help but convert it to my home currency which is equivalent to 2,000 pesos. In the Philippines, my hair would have already been permed, straightened or treated with that amount. When I came to Japan, I learned to cut and treat my own hair. (Thanks to Youtube!) But then, my hands and skills are only limited to maintaining my current hairstyle. Eventually, I just have to go to the hairdresser. No escaping it, unfortunately.

Earth Hairdressing
credit: http://blog.gappt.com/

A friend recommended a salon near AEON Ichino. It's cheaper than most salons. Cost is 2,500 Yen for a haircut. The salon's name is Earth. I think this salon is a chain cause I remember seeing a similar one around Hamamatsu Station.

When going to the hairdresser in Japan...

1. Make reservations. 
Thankfully, my friend did this for me. She was also going to have a haircut so she was the one who called the salon. Making reservations is better than walking in. If the salon is full, you'll have to wait for a vacancy if you just walked in. Also, some salons are by appointments only. The staff in Earth salon has limited English skills. You might want to ask a Japanese friend to help you make reservations. Better yet, have a Japanese-speaking person go with you.

2. Don't take the prices at face value
My friend and I thought that the 2,500 Yen was all that we're going to pay. That's how it is in our home countries. (She's from the UK.) Then a personnel handed us a list of stylists with their rankings. Aside from the 2500, we have to pay our stylist. The highest costs 2,500 Yen while the lowest was 500 Yen. We both got the lowest. I personally find this weird. If we're the paying the stylist with additional fee, what's the 2500 Yen for? The cheap shampoo? The chair we sat on? The cup of tea served which I didn't ask? The bag locker which is not necessary? I don't know. It just doesn't make sense to me. But anyway, make sure you have additional cash with you.

My first visit to a Japanese hairdresser


3. Take a picture of the hairstyle you want  
I anticipated that explaining the hairstyle I want would be problematic so I took a picture of what I exactly wanted. It was a big help cause I didn't have to explain anything. I just pointed at the picture and told him "Onagi, onegaishimasu" (The same, please.) Saved us time!

This is the picture I've shown.
credit: http://haircutsall.blogspot.jp/2013/08/hairstyle-with-side-bangs.html

4. Relax and enjoy
Because this is a Japanese salon, customer service was superb. My friend and I were tentative at first but the staff was courteous and helpful. As soon as we walked in the salon, somebody helped me with my coat, somebody kept my umbrella for me, somebody served us with tea and somebody helped us keep our bags in a locker. It was royalty treatment.

After that, we were led to our seats. Then we had to fill up a form with our names, address, telephone number and birthday. (I don't know what they're going to do with that info.) They're helpful enough to explain to me what info should I write in what box. We were then asked to choose our stylist. Shampoo came afterwards then the haircut, finally!

Honestly, I find the whole experience long. I just need a simple haircut which would normally take less than an hour back in the Philippines. It took about almost 2 hours here in Japan. I don't know why. My friend said that we should just enjoy the whole thing. It's not often that we go to the salon here.

Selfie with my new hair.
I think the stylist got it right. 

So after almost two hours, I got out of the salon feeling like a new person. I liked my shorter hair. The staff waved us off goodbye as if we're friends. Never mind the money and the minutes, a girl has to feel beautiful sometimes!


PS: On my way home, I met two friends. I told them I went to the salon. They asked me how much I paid. When they learned about it, they told me there's a cheaper salon in a nearer place with English-speaking staff. I stopped them from more elaboration cause it would ruin my experience. I'll just give it a try next time.


See Related Articles on Japanese Hair Salons: 

How To: Find a Hair Salon in Japan

Visiting Hair Salon in Tokyo

Japan Goal: Hair Salons

Mysteries of the Hair Salon Revealed





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...