Thursday, June 19, 2014

For ALT's: How to Deal with Misbehaving Students

comic credit: http://www.condenaststore.com/

There were three 3rd graders snickering in my class. I'm not exactly sure why but I feel it had something to do with me and the Japanese teacher. Their snickers started when I stood beside the naughtiest of the three while we're singing the warm-up song. Then all throughout the class, they'd look at me or the other teacher, talk in hushed voices, then snicker. Look- talk-snicker. Look-talk-snicker. I tried not to be affected. I moved away from them and walked around the opposite side.

What got me was when they started snickering loudly while their teacher was explaining something. This teacher is really kind- too kind sometimes, that some of the students do not treat her respectfully. Even when she tries to discipline the students, some students like these three are just simply mean. Because I can't take the rudeness, I came up to them and reprimanded them subtly.

Me:                               (Student's name), why are laughing? 
Student 1 (The leader):   Huh? Nani? (What?)
Student 2 (The friend):    Translates the question to Student 1. 

At this point, I don't think they can answer my question. 

Me:                                If you're happy, it's okay to laugh. 
                                      In class, that kind of laughing is bureina (rude). 
Student 1 and 2:            (Looked at each other then bowed their heads.)
Student 3:                      (Tries to be invisible)

Students sitting around them looked at me and looked at the two students. I believe this added to their shame. 

Me:                               Next time, don't laugh if nothing is funny.
                                     It is rude. 


After this talk, these three students did not snicker in my class again. The leader is still kinda naughty but he'd stop whatever he's doing when I stand beside him. The other student started responding properly to me when I talk to him. The third student is still invisible but she stopped snickering too. When I did this, I just want them to stop snickering and show some respect. I didn't know that it was actually an effective way to discipline them.


Such a Shame!

There's nothing special with how I rebuked the students. Actually, an outsider might not even tell I was reproaching the students. I have a calm and quiet voice even when I'm pissed off. (Thank God for this gift!) The words I used are not harsh. No insults and no finger pointing. Somehow, it worked because of one element- the presence of other students. They were ashamed for being reproached. Because I singled them out with their behavior, the students know something was wrong. And because I might do it again, they behave accordingly.

A lot of writings about Japan will tell you how Japan is big on appearances and saving faces. Because of the value of appearances the feeling of shame is probably 10 times more serious or heavy compared to how Westerners perceive it. This is one of the identified factors for Japan's high suicide. Death is better than losing one's face. Controlling one's snickers is better than being reproached again.

Take note that foreign teachers do not have the right to discipline students. Classroom management is on the hands of Japanese teachers. Nonetheless, even if it's not my responsibility to discipline students, my lesson flow is still affected if I don't impose some semblance of discipline. If I hadn't talked with those students, I bet they'd snicker again in my classes.

However, I'm not saying that teachers should intentionally shame students. No need to stage a shaming scene so students will behave. Japanese students are a breeze to discipline. All it takes is a simple and quiet talk in front of their peers. No insults, just plain rebuke of their rude behavior. I've seen many times how effective this is with the Japanese teachers. A rowdy class will suddenly quiet down after the teacher delivered a few serious-toned sentences. It's like magic, actually.

Foreign teachers can do this magic, too. Student discipline may be off limits but talking is not. So talk to your students if they're misbehaving. If needed, talk to them in front of their peers. Calmly, of course.



Dear Reader: What do you think are good ways to deal with misbehaving students? 















Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...