Friday, September 26, 2014

How to Cure Falling Hair in the Fall

Covered Garden at Fruit Park in Hamamatsu
Did you know that not only leaves fall during autumn? Hair, do too! Women's hair, especially. Even animals shed their hair during this season. There are two explanations for this occurrence. First, the hair has a growth cycle. It's during the months of fall that new hair starts to grow so the older are shedded off. It's like how snakes lose their old skin. The second explanation is that the air is dryer. This makes the scalp lose some moisture causing hair fall.

So how to deal with falling hair in this season? Here are simple and inexpensive things you can do:
1. Regularly hot oil your hair with olive or coconut oil

Because the air is colder while the hair needs warmth, more frequent hot oils make sense. No need to go to a salon. You can do it on your own. Before bathing, apply some coconut oil or virgin olive oil (preferably with drops of lemon or grounded avocado to minimize the smell). Let it stay for at least 15 minutes to an hour. Then shower. Use shampoo but don't rinse thoroughly. I personally prefer coconut oil because olive oil smells sometimes if you don't rinse it well. However, it's easier to find olive oil in Japan. Do this once to three times a week.

2. Do not use shampoo or conditioner everyday

I recently learned that we should not use shampoo and conditioner often. The hair is like fabric. The more it's washed with chemicals (like commercially manufactured shampoo and conditioner), the more its texture wears out and gets frizzy. Use shampoo only once or twice a week. Use conditioner once in every two weeks. I was skeptical at first but after trying this frequency, my hair feels more lush, it falls less and and it's shinier. The hair has its natural oils that can be unnecessarily washed with frequent use of shampoo and conditioner.

PS: I stopped using conditioner and started using vinegar solution as a replacement. It's really simple and effective. Just mix 1/2 of water and 1/2 of vinegar together. Apply it on your hair after shampoo and leave it for a minute or two. Then rinse with water. It  doesn't smell at all. You can put squeeze some lemons or essential oils for more fragrance.

3. Take some fish oil supplements

My hair had thinned considerably before I realize I'm having a serious case of hair fall. Hot oil and not shampooing helped but it takes time. A friend suggested I take fish oil supplements and it did help minimize hair fall. Fish oil is also good for the heart and mental health.

I use this brand :Nature Made (One a Day) Fish Oil, 1200mg 120-Count and it has been very effective for me. 

4. Drink lots of water


Whatever season, strive to be healthy. A simple way to maintain health (but most often neglected) is by drinking plenty of water. Water works wonder in our bodies. It's good for digestion, good for the skin and hair and it relieves stress. Doctors recommend drinking a glass of water every hour.

I learned about these two autumns ago when I had my first massive hair fall. I've always lived in a tropical place before coming to Japan. Heat makes the hair grow faster. Hence, even if the hair has its falling cycle, it's unnoticeable when you're living in a warm country. It was scary the first time I saw clumps of hair falling from my head. I had to unclog my bathroom drainage because of hair. I had to vacuum every other day because there's just hair everywhere my place! I thought I was having some early aging disease so I searched the internet for a possible explanation. True enough, my hair's falling because it's fall. No wonder it's called fall!

Have you experienced hair fall too? What did you do to minimize it?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...