Friday, September 19, 2014

Japanese Cheerleading

I'll write on cheer leading today. First, my university back in college showed a groundbreaking performance last week in a cheer leading competition. I just want to brag about about it. I'm a cheer leading fan since college. I even took a cheer leading PE course. No, I didn't pull stunts and made pyramids. I was just part of the crowd of students shouting the university cheer while watching basketball games. I got a 1 (or A) in that course cause I attended 10 games. Talk about learning while having fun!  I'll write more on my university's cheer leading routine next time. Here's the link, if you want to watch it. Spoiler alert; They only placed second. I'm still very proud though.

My next reason is because I want to share my students's cheer leading routines in the sports festival. Unlike American cheer leading, it's simple. There are no breathtaking moments, no lifts and tosses. It relies on pure energy and loud vocal chords. The routines are basic so that everyone in the team can participate. A little creativity was injected by each team to offer a good show.


Note: I intentionally took long and short shots to minimize the exposure of my students' faces. It is protection of their privacy. 

I love this team's energy. They're fun to watch because they're just having fun. Though they didn't get any place, they were still in high spirits. They're shouting ''Soya'' which is similar to Go! Go! Go! but not really a direct translation.



The use of purple gloves is the highlight of this team's cheer. I like the female leaders in this group so I'm all cheers for them. They also didn't win. I feel so sorry for the students I like cause they were crying after the competition. 




Here's another cheer with fans. Pink fans, this time. I have to salute this team for doing the cheer even though they're struggling up to the last practice day. 




Then, there's cheering with no gimmicks. Just hands.. The best thing about this group is how they made the audience clap with them. 





Oh yeah Dragon balls! Who would have thought to use them in cheer leading? They won 3rd place probably because of those balls,



Good  ole' pompoms won the second place.



My favorite proved to be really great. They won first place with their unique Bull and Matador cheer.



What I really appreciate is when each team showed well-thought-of cheers for another team. It's beautiful to see competitors going past the competition and wishing each other good luck. And that's the last reason why I want to write on cheer leading.


Planning to do cheer leading? Check this out:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...