Sunday, October 12, 2014

For ALT's: What to Do in School When There's Nothing to Do

Temple at Mishima-cho, Hamamatsu

What's harder than doing overtime?

It's going to work and doing nothing for 8 hours, believe me. Worse is, I have to pretend that I'm doing something. Such is my life as an ALT on some days. I used to like these ''free days'' because I can really prepare for my lessons. Still, 8 hours is too long to just prepare for lessons.  I can twiddle my thumbs, daydream and blog and I would still have time on my hands. The thoughts, ''What to do? What to do? I can't just drool!,'' swirls through my head driving me nuts.


Thankfully after almost 3 years in this job, I've found ways to fill my time. Here are some things you can do when there's nothing to do:

1. Prepare lessons
I'm writing this again just to make sure that before doing other activities, keep this as a priority. I'm responsible like that.

2. Join the activities or classes
Classes are usually cancelled because the students have other things to do. ALT's are not really required to participate in these activities but if you've got time, why not? Doing whatever the students are doing will draw you closer to them so it's like hitting two birds with one stone.

3. Read, roam, study
If you still have time after hanging out with your students. read something, roam the campus like a boss and study some Japanese. I like reading and studying so I do these a lot. I can do them the whole 8 hours but this can give the impression that I'm just relaxing and doing my hobbies in school.

4. Talk to the nurse and the librarian
When reading and studying don't appeal, visit the clinic or the library. The nurses in school are usually friendly and nice and they'll try to communicate with you. Librarians are not very consistent though. In my 3 years,  only liked one librarian. The others can't be bothered. Hanging out in the clinic and library will also help you breathe away from the eyes of the principal and vice principal.

If you still got time after all these, repeat 1 to 4. Maybe my next task on my free time is to add things on this list.

Happy teaching!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...