Tuesday, January 27, 2015

How I Got an iPhone6

Comic Strip for iPhone6
comic credits: http://ifabworld.blogspot.jp/2014/02/cartoon-strips-for-iphone.html
I felt tricked into buying an iPhone 6.

I know how the world awaited its release and how people braved the lines to have it. But I don't care about iPhone 6 at all. I don't care about Apple products actually. Though I've used an iPhone 5 for 2 years, I could easily be happy with other brands.

So why did I get an iPhone 6? I'm blaming it on the ridiculous marketing strategy of AU KDDI.

My story started 2 years ago in November when I signed a 2-year phone contract with AU. I was new in Japan and I needed a phone which I could use Google Map and Google Translate. My first phone in Japan, a simple black and white fliptop, charged about 6,000 Yen a month. It's just 2,000 Yen short for a smartphone so I decide to change it.


For 2 years, I religiously paid around 8,000 to 9,000 Yen a month for AU's services and for my phone. Then November 2014 came and the payment for my phone is supposed to have been finished. I was surprised to get my December bill with the same amount. I still paid it thinking maybe I have to pay for one more month. Then my January bill came and I still have to pay the same amount. This is when I decided to go to the AU shop. They used to have an English speaking customer service on the phone but I think they don't have it anymore.

photo credit: http://joyreactor.com/post/983159

The guy who assisted me has great English skills. I understood him perfectly but I don't understand the ridiculousness of AU's policy. The guy said that AU gave me a discount on my phone for 2 years because I was in contract with them. After 2 years, they're now taking the discount. It's the reason why I'm still paying the same amount. He also said that I didn't go to the AU shop when my 2 years was up so they just automatically signed me up for another 2 years. I don't normally swear, but that is bullsh*t!

I tried explaining some common sense to him. If they gave me a discount, why are they taking it now? That's a shady marketing strategy. Also, even if I didn't go to the AU shop when my 2 years was up, they should just have terminated their services on my phone. Technically, I didn't sign up for another two years. I told him that I should only be paying for 5,000 Yen a month minus the phone payment.

He's stubborn and AU's policy was crappy. We were arguing (in a very polite manner) for almost an hour. At that time, I was just so annoyed I just wanted to settle things. I wanted to terminate my contract with them but I know how difficult it is to get a contract with other phone companies. So, I asked how much do I have to pay if I get another iPhone 5 or iPhone 5c or iPhone 5s or iPhone6? He quoted the same amount that I usually pay for all types of phone.

I know this is another marketing ploy but I bit into it anyway. I decided to get a new phone- iPhone 6, because technically, I've been paying for it since last November. I'm planning to stay in Japan until March 2016 so I can still use it for 16 months.And this is how I got my iPhone 6.

In retrospect, I should just have cancelled my phone with AU and got a prepaid phone with another company. I've been here in Japan for more than 2 years and I don't use Google translate and Google maps as much. I let my annoyance cloud my reason. My only consolation is at least I have a new phone.

Lots of Post Scripts: 

I was really bothered when I got my phone so I checked AU's policy on their English page. Here are some interesting things I've learned: 

1. I could actually return my phone within 8 days after I bought it.
2. I could transfer my phone contract to another person and pay about 2,700 Yen. (This is an alternative I'm looking at if I can't finish my contract.)
3. I can pay a cancellation fee plus the remaining amount for the phone if I can't finish the contract. (I'm also considering this.)

For those who have phone contracts in Japan: 
1. Go to the phone shop when your contract is finished. Clarify your future bills. 
2. Some of my Japanese friends said it's better to switch companies after your contract. 
3. Check how much internet data you're using. You can lower your bill if you're not using that much internet. 






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...