Friday, February 13, 2015

Heavenly Hot Spring in Hamamatsu: YU Fukei Shiori Onsen

outdoor onsen at Yu Fukei Shiori, Hamamatsu
photo credit: http://www.bcm-surfpatrol.com/

I've been living in Hamamatsu for more than 2 years and I can't believe I missed this really nice onsen near the station. It's about 3.4 km from Hamamatsu Station. The onsen's name is Yu Fukei Shiori.

I've been seeing this onsen since last year when I started cycling regularly everywhere. I didn't try going because I thought it was one ordinary onsen. Then, my aunt who lives in Tokyo gave me a surprise visit last weekend. After dinner, she wanted to go to an onsen. I didn't want to go all the way to Kanzanji or Bentenjima cause it's already late. I remembered this onsen near the station and told her we could try going there. 

I had an idea what bus to take but I didn't know the bus stop. We took Bus 51 and we just told the driver to drop us off at Shiori onsen. I forgot to look at the bus stop so until now I don't know what stop. I'll have to go there again to find out. (And have a nice bath too!) Bus 50 and 8 also pass by the same stop. 

Shiori's entrance is a 5-10 minute walk from the main road. It's quite a hike because the driver drop us off the stop before the onsen. We should have gotten off at the next stop, just above the hill leading to the onsen. A car would be the ideal form of transportation. I don't have a car so we just hiked and walked and breathed hard. 

After all the side stories, let's check what Shiori onsen has to offer:

First, Shiori's really affordable. Entrance is 700 Yen. It's cheaper compared to the onsens in Bentenjima and Kanzanji. Even the onsen's restaurant is also affordable. Food ranges from 500 Yen to 2000 Yen. 

Next, there's a variety of indoor pools. There's a cold pool, about 15 degrees when we visited. There's the relaxingly sweet-smelling aroma pool. There's the heavenly pool with massages. There's also an ordinary sit-down pool. 

The best thing about Shiori is its outdoor onsen pools. There's a traditional-looking pool with smooth rocks bordering its edges. I felt like I was in a natural onsen. There are also three big wooden tubs. There's a pool with a TV and an onsen on top of a wooden bridge. The steam sauna can also be found in the corner of the outdoor area. It was my first time to have an onsen outdoor. The lights during the night cast sleepy glows on the onsen waters. *sigh, close eyes, sigh*

Other great things about Yu Fukei Shiori are: 

  • The bath soap, shampoo and conditioner all smell really good, like mild bubble gum scent. 
  • The changing and dressing area is large. It also has a a vending machine with great drink choices. 
  • (I love the bottled Meiji chocolate drinks!)
  • The design of the whole place is lovely. It's like a big wooden minimalist mansion. 
  • The staff is prompt and friendly. They helped us call a taxi on the way home. 
  • It's accessible from the main road. 
There are only two not-so-good things I can say. First, the indoor pools are quite small. It was crowded when we went there. Second, we had to pay 100 Yen to use the hair dryer when it's free in other onsens. They also don't provide lotion or ear buds which are available in other places. Aside from these two things, I only have praises for this place. 

I'm definitely recommending this place to anyone who's living in Hamamatsu or anyone who might be visiting. And I'm definitely going back for a nice warm bath!

Facility information
Street addressHamamatsu, Shizuoka Prefecture, Naka-ku Takabayashi 1-13-13
Access3km from Hamamatsu Station
Parking GarageYes (200 units)
Hours10:00 - next 1:00, Saturday, Sunday and public holidays 8:00 - 1:00 the next (both final accepted 24:00)
Regular holidayLevel of Sun equipment inspection there
Phone053-478-2626
MenuAdult ¥ 700, Children (up to 12 years old) ¥ 300, infants (up to 2 years) ¥ 100
URLHot water landscape bookmark web site of

For Directions:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...