Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Visiting Hiroshima and Miyajima

Displaying IMG_0613.JPG
Peace Park, Hiroshima, Japan
Two of the places I've visited last spring vacation were Hiroshima and Miyajima. Both places are in Chuguko Region, east of Japan.

The world knows the atomic bombing in Hiroshima. I knew it and how Japan surrendered because of it. But when you're actually in the Peace Park and see the images in museum, you won't just know. You'll feel the tragedy. Until I saw how a huge city was turned in ruins, I wouldn't realize the impact of the A-bomb. I was holding back tears seeing pictures of real people who suffered. It didn't help that I rented an audio guide. I heard things too! *sobs*


Displaying IMG_0606.JPG
Atomic Bomb Dome, Hiroshima, Japan

What's amazing though is Hiroshima's so lovely now. It's bustling, progressive and touristy. It has a distinct vibe different from Tokyo, Osaka or Kyoto. It still feels like Japan but less Japanese. That's the best way I can describe it. I only spent a few hours in Hiroshima and I missed tasting their own version of okonomiyaki. It wasn't a big deal though because I'm not an okonomiyaki fan. It's just that I promised one student who highly recommended to not leave Hiroshima without tasting it.

Because I only spent about 2 hours there, I only visited the Peace Park and the Museum.I think everyone who goes to Hiroshima has intentions of visiting these places. They're all close to Hiroshima station. You just have to take the tram Line 2 or 6 and get off at Genbaku Domu Mae. The fare is 160 Yen.

After Hiroshima, I headed to Miyajima. It's less than an hour away from Hiroshima so I decided to visit it. Who knows if I'll ever come back to this part of Japan again.

How to get to Miyajima?

Take the train going there. Head towards Miyajima Port. There are English signs so you'll find it. It's less than 5-minute walk from the station. Buy a ticket for a ferry that will take you there. Board the ferry and you'll be in Miyajima in around 15 minutes.

I have a spoiler to tell though, I think Miyajima's overrated. Sorry, Japan that's my opinion. A lot of Japanese have told me that Miyajima's one of the three loveliest spots in Japan. It's lovely but not breathtaking. I've seen more impressive views.

Displaying IMG_0667.JPG
Miyajima on a cloudy day

Miyajima boasts of the big torii gate on water. Well, Hamamatsu has something similar too. I could have just gone to Bentenjima and see the same sight. (Hamamatsu should really pay me as tourism ambassador. hehe!) Aside from the gate, Miyajima has deer everywhere which I don't care about. Sorry animal lovers, I'm scared of animals. There's a train on top of a mountain which will show a scenic view of the whole island. I didn't hiked up there cause I was pressed for time.

Would I still recommend visiting Miyajima?

If you're in Hiroshima, yes. If you're just going all the way there just for that, there are nicer places in Japan to go.

Visiting the Peace Park in Hiroshima made me think of life, death and other deeper things and Miyajima served as the perfect venue to reflect for a few minutes.

For more information on Hiroshima and Miyajima, check out the blogs below. I highly recommend that you read each blog because they have different takes on their visit to Hiroshima and Miyajima.

On Location: Hiroshima Today (on The Traveling Type)

Hiroshima + MIyajima Japan (on Let's Get Lost) 

Hiroshima and Miyajima (Flashpacking Around the World)

Hiroshima (My Japan Travels 2014)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...