Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Zero Japanese, Trains are Delayed, What to Do?

credit: http://blog.fujitv.co.jp/airmail/E20111122001.html
It's been raining everyday since I got back to Japan last week. Yesterday, the rain was particularly strong. This caused the trains to be delayed and some tracks became impassable.

Now, I don't usually use the train when going to work. In my 3 years here, I've never experienced trains delays. Until yesterday.

Here's a side story: I do some business classes. On Tuesdays since June, I have to take the afternoon trains going to Iwata. So, I had to take the train yesterday. But as I've said, the weather was bad. Some parts of the Tokaido Line became impassable causing train delays, wreaking havoc to people's schedule. Mine included.

If I were in the Philippines, I'd be in fits with this delay. But I'm in Japan so just like all the other commuters outside the train ticket gates I looked like I'm patiently waiting for the trains to be fixed. I didn't show I was anxious since all the other commuters were just calm. I think Japanese people are confident that somehow all will be well.

I know the trains will be fixed in one way or another. But I don't know when and if I can make it in time for my class. The train staff at the ticket gates kept on announcing things about the train. There's also a board near the ticket gates where some announcements were written. The problem is they're all in Japanese and I can't understand whatever they're announcing. My only goal was to get in the trains and go to my class!

If you'll ever be in my shoes, here's what you can do. All these require little Japanese.



1. Ask the train ticket officer

After 2 announcements and I can't still understand when the train is coming, I approached the train staff and asked.

Here's my question: Iwata Eki, okay? (eki means station)

I suppose, you can use it too. Just replace: (Name of the station you're going to), okay? When I went back to Hamamatsu after my class, the trains were still delayed so I just replaced my question: Hamamatsu Eki, okay?

Here's the challenge though, the train officer might say a lot of explanations you won't understand. Just ask again if: (Name of station), okay? He'll probably get it that you can't speak Japanese and will just reply with a yes or no. If he says, yes the train is probably on its way. If no, you have to wait and ask again.

If you want to know the time when the train is coming, you can use this very broken Japanese:

Densha, (Name of station), nanji? This means: Train, (Name of station), what time?

If the train officer replies in Japanese time, be ready with a watch or a paper so he can show you the time.
Take note that the train station is very busy during train delays so make your inquiries as quick as possible.

2. Observe the other commuters 

When I was going back to Hamamatsu, the train officer I asked said a lot of things I didn't understand. So I observed what the other commuters are doing. A lot of them are swiping their passes and getting in the train ramps even though the trains are delayed. So, I swiped my pass too and waited at the train ramps. After 30 minutes, the train came.

I learned then that some commuters who are waiting outside the train ticket gates don't have train tickets. During train delays, the ticket machines are closed down. They will open again a few minutes before the train comes.

So, if you see that a lot of commuters are already getting in, it's also a good idea to get inside... if you hava a pass. If you don't have a pass, just wait until the other commuters started buying tickets.

But, if most of the commuters have started to walk away from the ticket gates.. then maybe you should look at the third option on this list.

3. Think of alternative transportation

There's the bus,there's the taxi and there's a friend.

If you're destination is work, you can probably call your company, explain the situation and ask if you can just take a taxi. I already talked to the company staff that if the train will be further delayed, I'll be taking the taxi. If you have some money to burn, you can also take the taxi going home. Take note however, that when the weather is bad, there's always a long queue at the taxi stand.

If you can take the bus going to where you're going, then consider it too.

And lastly, if you have a friend with a car that you're comfortable to ask help from, maybe you can also consider this option.

I was lucky yesterday that even with the train delays, I made it into my class on time. But just in case, I'd be late, I already asked for a "chien shoumeisho" or delay certificate. This would explain to my boss why I was late for work. You can request it from a staff at the ticket gate.

So the next time something like this happen to me or to you, no need to panic. Keep calm and well.. just keep calm. The trains will come.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...