Thursday, January 7, 2016

Living in a Leo Palace Apartment

My favorite corner in my apartment:
Lucky bamboo and a framed silk

Finding an apartment in Japan is not an easy thing especially if you're a foreigner. You'll need a guarantor-a local who'll vouch for you to the property owner. You'll also need key money- it's a "cash gift" to the property owner for allowing you to rent the place. There's also the language barrier which might be used to your disadvantage.

So how will you find an apartment in Japan? 

Thank your stars if your company helps you in finding an apartment. Some companies can act as guarantors for you. They'd also help you understand the leasing contract. They may even loan you the needed key money. 

But if this is not the case for you, the most convenient rental option for you is by renting a Leo Palace Apartment.


What is Leo Palace Apartment? 

Leo Palace Apartments is a large rental company. They have studio-type apartments all over Japan fit for single occupancy.

Their apartments vary in design and layout but the average size is around 25-30 square meters. 

I've been living in a Leo Palace Apartment for more than 3 years now. I'm quite happy with my place.

Here are the Good Things about Renting a Leo Palace Apartment: 

1. Leo Palace has an English website and an English support staff. 

This is what I love most about Leo Palace. If I have problems with my apartment, I don't need to wait for a Japanese friend to help me. I can just simply call their English hotline, tell the problem and request for assistance. I've asked for help a few times and Leo Palace always sends someone to fix the problem within 3 days. 

You can actually find an apartment using their website. After sending an inquiry, someone will communicate with you and help you choose an apartment. 

This is their website: Leo Palace Apartment

2. You don't need to give a key money. 

Leo Palace does not collect key money. They'll just ask for 2-months worth of rent. However, I know a case where an agent collected an "agents" fee from my friend when she moved in to a Leo Palace apartment. You can ask your agent to waive it or ask for a lower fee. In my case, I didn't pay any agents fee. 

3. You don't need a guarantor. 

Leo Palace does not require a guarantor. Their leasing contract is made only between you and them. This saves you the hassle of finding a Japanese friend to vouch for you. 

4. You don't need to buy large house appliances.

Aside from no key money and no guarantor, their apartments are also furnished with washing machine, TV, internet, refrigerator, air conditioner, gas heater, stove and microwave over. Apartments also has tables for dining. You can move in with just your clothes. 

5. You don't need to apply for internet. 

Applying for internet connection is another pain for foreigners. It takes time and takes a lot of paperwork. But if you choose to live in a Leo Palace apartment, you automatically have an internet connection. This is included in your monthly rent. 

6. You almost always have neighbors.

I don't know about you but I don't like the thought of living alone in an apartment building. When I moved in, I had to make sure that there are other people living in the same complex. Because Leo Palace has the easiest rental system, their apartments are never vacant. Hence, you'll always have neighbors. 

I have one big complaint about Leo Palace, though. It's the size of their apartments. They're best suited for short-term stays and for single occupancy. Most of the not-so-good things that I find revolves around with my spatial problem. 

Not-So-Good Things about Renting a Leo Palace Apartment

1. It's small. 

The average size of a Leo Palace apartment is around 20-30 square meters. They're basically boxes. I'm lucky that my apartment has a space-efficient layout. Some apartments are not as nicely-laid out. A single person can live comfortably enough but it can feel cramped with two. 

2. The monthly rent is pricey for its size.

A small studio-type Leo Palace Palace apartment cost around 35,000 to 60,000 Yen depending on the location. An apartment with an actual bedroom and a bigger kitchen can cost with the same amount. I have a friend who lives in a 2-bedroom apartment, triple the size of my place, around the same area where I live. She only pays 38,000 Yen monthly while I pay 43,000 for my small box. 

Now, I understand that I'm also paying for the appliances so it's pricier. But still, I wish they could give discounts for long-term residents. 

3. The walls are paper thin.

When I first moved in to my place, I felt like I was in a big dollhouse. The walls look so light that if I punch them, they'd shatter. I could also hear my neighbors' footsteps, laughter and other daily activities. I felt uncomfortable at first cause it felt like I was living with other people. But I got used to it eventually. 

4. There are no elevators. 

Most Leo Palace apartments have two to three floors. But some are as high as having a fourth floor. Having no elevators is not a problem if you live in the first and second floor. But if you live in the 3rd and 4th, it's not the most convenient. 

Now, here's an advice: If you've decided to stay in Japan for more than 2 years, I suggest you find an actual apartment. Leo Palace is great as a temporary place but you'll be spending more in the long run. It's also great if you're outside most of the time. But if you love having people over, it's not the best place to be. 


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...