Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Gift Items for Japanese Teachers

Christmas is not really celebrated in Japanese schools. Hence, gift-giving is not really a big thing compared to the schools I worked with in the Philippines. But still, it's a good time to express gratitude for the kind teachers, show appreciation for the staff who always help me figure out equipment and just simply to be nice.

I went about asking other ALT's who plan to give gifts to Japanese teachers. I's like to share some of them. 

1. Native delicacies
yema balls
PHOTO CREDIT: http://www.acupcakeortwo.com/2010/02/yema-balls-simple-filipino-treat.html

Most Japanese teachers that I know are not very aware of other country's culture including their food. I took this knowledge to my advantage and prepared yema. Yema is a Philippine sweet made from milk mixed with peanuts or jackfruit. It's easy to make and the ingredients are very affordable. The teachers loved it. They also appreciated it because I personally made it. 

2. Personalized small items
sample personalized bookmarks
PHOTO CREDIT: http://personalizedbookmarks.org/
If you are good in editing paper products, a personalized bookmark, stationery, name tags will be a great gift. However, this may take time. A printer is also necessary. But I would definitely be happy to receive a personalized item. 

3. Christmas cards

Christmas card cover
PHOTO CREDIT: http://saffroncraig.com/_blog/Saffrons_Blog/post/Free_Down_load_able_Christmas_Card/

Cards may not be appreciated so much in the Philippines. When I give a card to someone back home, it means we're not really close. It's different in Japan though. People express their gratitude and appreciation through cards. In fact, the Christmas season is the busiest season for postal services because a lot of people send cards to friends and relatives. There's even a teacher who sent me a card through the post although we see each other everyday. Receiving a Christmas card is an honor in Japan. 

4. Candies and chocolates

chocolates with candy canes
PHOTO CREDIT: http://favim.com/image/314279/

If you don't have time to cook, to edit small items and to write messages on Christmas cards then give candies and chocolates. I suggest you go to a nearest grocery and buy these. What I observed is that Japanese teachers appreciate any kind effort from the ALT. 

I think that whatever the gift may be and no matter how big or small, it should be coupled with a sincere "Merry Christmas" and sweet smile.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...