Thursday, December 20, 2012

Student Burial in Japan

A student died in my friend's school. He's a third year junior high school student. My friend recollected that he is one of the kind and respectful students in his class. And although he's not good in English, he would try to communicate with her. My friend was shocked when she learned about his death last Monday. She immediately called me and cried. Last night she went to his burial and told me her observations which I also like to share.

japanese burial
PHOTO CREDIT: http://lasamurai.blogspot.jp/2010_07_01_archive.html

1. Music

The first thing that my friend noticed was the background music during the wake. They weren't soft or mournful songs like in Philippine wakes. The songs played are from One Piece. The boy's parents explained that One Piece is his favorite anime. For someone to die that young, I think it is fitting to play songs in his generation. Perhaps, I would also want songs my generation to play in my own wake.

2. People

Almost all the students came along with the teachers. No eye was dry during the wake. My friend was surprised that even students who are rough and rowdy expressed their grief freely. Japanese society is not a very emotional one so it was an experience for my friend to witness adults and young ones crying without inhibitions.

3. Cause of Death

When my friend learned of the student's death, she automatically asked the cause. The teachers just told her that something happened. They seem evasive which quite puzzled her. In the wake, she also asked the parents and the parents were a bit vague about the details. Another ALT friend told us that when teachers and parents are quite vague, the probable cause would be suicide. Though we don't want to think that way, our friend has been here for quite sometime and has witnessed several student suicides. In Japan, suicide is quite common so it wasn't surprising. Nonetheless, it does not diminish the impact of knowing a person that young would commit suicide.

Although I hope I could share more regarding this topic, I don't wish to see any student burial. Death is already heartbreaking without seeing a younger generation on its claws.


11 comments:

  1. Very sad to hear of someone dying so young but it's never appropriate in my opinion to ask the family how he died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, its fastidious piece of writing about media print, we all be familiar with media
    is a impressive source of data.
    Also visit my homepage : a knockout post

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your site provided us with valuable info to work on. You have done an impressive job and our whole community will be grateful to you.
    Check out my webpage : linked here

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are a bunch of volunteers and ѕtarting a new scheme іn our community.
    Your ѕite offered us with valuable іnformation
    tо wоrk οn. You have donе an impressive task
    and ouг entire neighborhoοԁ will be
    thankful to you.
    Feel free to visit my weblog - throat infection reasons

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great sіtе yοu have got herе.
    . It's difficult to find excellent writing like yours these days. I truly appreciate people like you! Take care!!

    Also visit my weblog - trans resveratrol supplements
    Here is my weblog :: organic resveratrol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Evеry weekеnd i usеd to go to seе this websіtе,
    beсausе i ωiѕh for enјoуment,
    since thіs thіs ωebsіte conations actuаllу good funnу ԁata toо.
    http://wωω.tlcsаvings.сο.
    uk
    My site ... join utility warehouse

    ReplyDelete
  7. We stumbled over here from a different website and thought I might
    as well check things out. I like what I see so now i'm following you. Look forward to looking into your web page repeatedly.
    my web page > pure african mango

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so sad to hear. Unfortunately it is almost common in Japan. A student in my second grade died the first year I came to work there and my friend had two students die in the 8 years she worked as an ALT. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sad. I wonder what makes it common. I hope something can be done.

      Delete
    2. As far as I know its a combination of stresses of overwork and suicide from bullying that account for teenage deaths in Japan. It is sad.

      Delete
    3. Bullying is really a common problem among teenagers. A lot of countries now are doing anti-bullying programs, I wonder if there's ever one here. As for the overwork thing, their parents should do something about it. Obviously, these students cannot handle the stress. So far, in all the schools I have been to, I haven't met a guidance counselor that students can confide in. I think it counselling can help these students.

      Delete

feel free to share your thoughts!

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

just for laughs!!!