Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Yokohama Ramen Museum: A Review

I went to the Yokohama Ramen Museum just because I was in Yokohama. I also got curious what kind of museum would devote itself to ramen. I am in Japan where people just adore ramen so I know I shouldn't be surprised but I am surprised, nonetheless.

Paying an entrance fee worth 300 Yen, I entered the museum's dark building. It isn't like the tiled and marbled museum I was expecting. It was like a enlarged diorama designed with colorful hanging lanterns and narrow alleys leading to traditional ramen houses. It attempts to capture the old Japan at night. There was even a street performer in the middle of the museum. 

Interior of Yokohama Ramen Museum

street performer at Yokohama Ramen Museum
It was an interesting place for the first few minutes but it was too small for a prolonged stay. Also, with all the ramen houses in the museum, I felt I was in a ramen bazaar. The actual place were a ramen history was displayed was small and unnoticeable. If I weren't looking carefully, I would have missed it. There was also nothing much to see or do. Unless you would like to eat ramen, the museum is not really worth visiting again.

The Yokohama Ramen Musuem
 I think the place would be better if the museum would systematically and attractively display ramens from different regions of Japan. They could also showcase an open kitchen to show how ramen is made. Lastly, the ramens sold inside the museum should be at least cheaper. 

I don't really highly recommend this place but if you're near the area, it won't hurt to drop by and look. 

For more information on the Yokohama Ramen Museum, click here





  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...