Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Sound of Summer: Bell Healing Concert in Japan

I've gone to one of the most unusual concerts in Japan- a bell healing concert in Shinjohara. I got intrigued when a friend invited me so I went without having a slightest idea how it would be. 

The concert was held in a temple located in a ruralish area. The temple was a lovely surprise with its decors dusted in gold dust. It was a very informal and intimate affair. The stage for performance was small and the audience area were just pillows and small chairs. It felt like a small community gathering. 

interior decor of a temple in Shinjohara

engravings in gold 
 At 7 pm, the concert started. There were only two artists- the bell player and the singer. The opening act was a melody similar to what you nay hear in a spa. It was very soothing and relaxing but it was recorded. The bell player played along with the flute while singer hummed some notes. And the bells? After playing with the flute, the bell person did some seemingly random bell sounds by hitting the bells in front of him.

stage for performance
This type of performance continued all throughout the concert. A recorded melody was played, the singer hummed and the bell player played the flute then hit the bells on some random part of the song. He seemed earnest in what he does although I didn't really appreciate it. When he hit the bells, it brought discord rather than harmony to the song to my ears.

bells, bells, bells

Do Re Mi of bells

The highlights of the concert was when they blended traditional music with pop rhythm just before the break. It sounded more melodious and the bells seem to be more in tune. Also, the rendition of Amazing Grace through the bells was movingly solemn. They also played a seemingly sad and hopeful melody for the Tohoku Earthquake victims. Just before the concert ended, the singer sang a song with one word - ARIGATOU (Thank You) which she asked the audience to sing with her. It was touching and it felt very sincere. 

In between songs, the bell player mentioned how each bell has a different sound depending on how it was serated. I also learned that before airconditioning was invented, the Japanese hanged bells in the summer to give a refreshing feel. The sound of bells is the sound of summer. He then further explained how he started his bell collections and from what places he got his bells. I have to thank my friend for translating all these information for me. 

Aside from the interesting tidbits of information, I also appreciated the singer's voice. She did not sing any lyrics but I fell in a trance just hearing her humming. Her voice was smooth, clear and sleep-inducing. I saw a lot of people falling asleep. I was half asleep myself during the concert. 

They mention that they play in a temple in Kyoto and that they have various concerts in Japan. I regretted not getting more information about them. (I was just rushing to go home to catch the train.) I tried looking for them on Google but I can't seem to find one. If you ever heard of a bell healing concert, I recommend to give it a try. It can be a relaxing and moving experience. 





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...