Thursday, November 14, 2013

This Small Act: Puple Pen Writes on Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan)

Dear Reader, 

I may not know who you are but I'm grateful that you're taking the time to read or browse over my blog. For the past year, I only talked about my thoughts and experiences here in Japan. This blog was borne out of free time at work. It has no noble reason except to record whatever's happening in my life. Today is different though. I'm using this medium for a nobler and more humane cause.

Last Friday, Nov. 8, the strongest typhoon in history hit my country- the Philippines. It was such a great devastation. Thousands of lives are lost along with billions worth of property damages. The images of the aftermath are so heartbreaking I can't help but be haunted of sadness for the past days. I can't imagine the extent of grief of my fellow Filipinos who lost their homes and loved ones. Though I've done a small part by donation, I'm still compelled to do something more. So I am writing this.

The typhoon's aftermath
Credit: www.rappler.com

The typhoon's aftermath
Credit: www.digitaljournal.com
First, I want to express my deepest gratitude to all the countries and people who willingly aid my country. Billions of pesos have been pledged for the rehabilitation of Visayas. Manpower and in-kind donations keep pouring in. The Filipinos are overwhelmed by the help so selflessly given to us. God surely sees these acts of kindness and will not go unnoticed.
Disclaimer: This is not mine but I don't know who to give credit to.
Next, if you're a Filipino reading this blog, I hope you're doing your part too in rebuilding our nation. If you're in another country like me, don't hesitate to send your donations whether in cash or kind. If there's no cash to spare, use the social media wisely. I believe you have an internet since you can read this. Express your support and encouragement to the survivors. Check on  friends who may have been affected. If you're in the Philippines, then you are in the best position to help. I believe that a lot of NGO's like Red Cross and Sagip Kapamilya are needing manpower to pack relief goods. What is an hour or two if it will make a difference to the lives of many people? Also, if you're willing, I think they need people to help distribute the goods.

Packing of relief goods
Credit:www.ibtimes.co.uk
Also, this is the time to be socially and politically aware. There's so much to the internet than posting selfies and food photos. Let's be vigilant on the financial aid given to us. We can repay those countries by making sure that the help extended to us was used in the right way. Let's continue to demand transparency from the government. This is not the time to be indifferent. You may think you're not affected but as long as you are a Filipino, what the government does affect you.

Credits: http://www.pricepanda.com.ph/blog/help-victims-of-typhoon-yolanda-haiyan-list-of-relief-centers-donations-drop-offs-banks-etc/

Third, if you are a powerful person or a person with expertise, I hope you'll have the heart to help in the rehabilitation process. Relief operations are only temporary answers to the people's needs. In the long run, we need businessmen who'll invest in agriculture, tourism, industry and trade. We'll need engineers and architects who can design and build well-planned communities and sturdier buildings. We'll need medical experts to help the survivors in gaining back their physical and mental health. We'll need responsible journalists who have the passion to report facts and not sow unverified negative reports. (Eg: Aquino walking out in a briefing when he didn't) We'll need leaders who can replace the rotten political leaders we have.

Disclaimer: This is not mine but I don't know who to give credit to.

Then, I'm calling on the government to have a true heart for public service. The Philippines has suffered so much already. More than the natural calamities that embattled us, the corruption and ineffective governance is destroying a beautiful country. It pains me to live in a progressive country like Japan knowing that if only we have an effective government, the Philippines can attain this much progress. My prayer is that God purge the country of evil politicians, lazy government officials and inefficient workers. ( In the same breath, I'm cursing all the corrupt people in the government- from the topmost people to the those in the bottom of the ladder. F--- Y-- All!) I want to see the Philippines be a first world country in this lifetime.

Photo Credit: www.kimmierose.com

Lastly, whatever nation you came from, I hope we won't give up on our planet and on each other. Climate change is real. This big typhoon is one of its effects. If we don't do something about our environment, there could be much worse. It's scary to think that things would only get worse. At the same time, I salute the human spirit for responding in these times of distress. And I'm not only limiting this to what happened in the Philippines. As of this writing, there's a threatening volcanic eruption in Indonesia, an unexpected cyclone somewhere in Africa, extreme poverty in large parts of Asia and Africa, wars in the Middle East, nuclear breakdowns in Japan and so much more. The discussions, expressions of concern, prayers and all the help are all great testimonies that amidst the chaos we're in, people still care for their fellow human beings.   Let's continue to dream and do what we can do for each other. Let's continue to hope that humanity still has a future. I still believe in this planet. I still believe in us- the human race.

With high hopes,
Purple Pen













Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...