Tuesday, January 21, 2014

No Lunch: The Norovirus in Hamamatsu

It's the second day that I have to bring lunch to school. There's no school lunch since yesterday until tomorrow. This is after about 1000 students and 41 school staff in Hamamatsu suffered from food poisoning last Thursday. After an initial investigation, it turned out that the bread served during lunch was infected with Norovirus.


English: BREAD, Japanese: PAN
credit: http://www.thewellnesswarrior.com.au/2011/05/against-the-refined-grain/

The company, Hofuku Co, stated that a female employee touched a door knob on her way to the restroom. In the forum of Japan Today, many readers couldn't believe that it was that simple. Some were cynical about the company's standards of cleanliness. I would be too but I have to give them some benefit of doubts due to some inside information.

One of my friends started working at Hofuku Co a week before the norovirus issue happened. She said how each employee need to shower and be covered before doing anything with their bread products. My friend also said that the managers are very strict to ensure that the products are clean and without any contamination. I could only take my friend's word for it. Also, she mentioned all these even before the food poisoning happened. She was telling me about her new job including its protocols. At that time, I couldn't find any reason why she would lie.

Hopefully, the affected students will be fine soon. They are mostly elementary students so I can imagine how difficult it is for them. Another friend has shared her experience with me having norovirus. To sum up what how it feels - it's TERRIBLE. I'm thankful that my school wasn't affected.

The bread company was ordered to cease operation while investigation's going on. If the company's as clean as my friend says, I hope they'd be given a chance to open again. I'm sure my friend needs her job.

And as for me, I'm looking forward to having my school lunch again. Preparing my lunch is "mendoksai" (such a bother). Also, school lunch is healthy compared to my fried chicken lunch for two consecutive days.

For more information on this news:

1. 905 students, 41 staff suffer food poisoning at Hamamatsu schools

2. Bread identified as source of food poisoning at Hamamatsu schools

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...