Friday, January 17, 2014

Snippets in a Japanese High School

Not much is going on for me in the schools lately. The whole school is busy preparing for endless exams. There was an exam just last week and another one is coming up at the end of the month. I rarely see the third year students. I don't prepare any activities for the first year cause they're in a hurry for whatever lessons they're supposed to finish. I only have the second years to look forward to. Still, I try to find time with the students cause I like hanging out with them.

I'll be sharing some of my "hanging out moments" with the students.


1. Fat Foreigners

Two students saw me with their ALT in elementary during the winter break. That ALT is a large woman. The day we get back to school after the break, the students excitedly come up to me.

fat Japanese
credit: http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-18721288/stock-vector-fat-japanese-woman.html

Students:  Faye Sensei, do you know (ALT's name)?
Me:         Yes, she's my friend. She lives near my apartment.
Students:  Honto?! (Really?)
Me:          Yes.
Student 1: Why are foreigners fat?
Me:        :  (Taken aback and puzzled).

I don't know why the student suddenly asked me that. She must be thinking of my friend. It's ironic cause she's asking me. Me- an underweight foreigner. And it's twice ironic cause she's the one asking- she's way bigger than me. Way bigger than most Japanese. I should have asked back, "Why are you fat?"

2. Cheap Love

There's a 3rd year student who often tells me he loves me in a cute boyish way. He asked me on a date twice and I turned him down, of course. He's just kidding me, I think. Then, after the break he asked me out again.

Student: Faye, let's date on Saturday.
Me:       Sorry, I'm busy and you don't have money for that.
Student: Money, no need. We'll ride our bikes then I'll make you instant noodles.

sweet love
credit: http://my.opera.com/Antoniblue/albums/show.dml?id=147551

It actually sounds like a plan except that it's too cold to be biking now. Also, I don't want him getting instant noodles from his house and of course, he's just joking. His plan though reminded me that "love" need not be expensive.

3. Story Telling; Smelling Me


smelling like a flower
credit: http://depositphotos.com/7600727/stock-photo-Girl-Smelling-a-Flower.html

There's this first year student who likes talking to me whenever she sees me. I don't really understand her most of the time but she still talks to me. She tries using a couple of English words but mostly she uses Japanese. I keep telling her "Wakarimasen" (I don't know.) Still, she talks. Earlier this week, she talked to me again:

Student: (talking in Japanese)
Me:       Sorry, Wakarimasen.
Student: Okay. I like talk to you.
Me:       Naze? (Why?)
Student: Anata wa shinsetsudahi to yoi kaori ga suronode.
            (Because you are kind and you always smell good).
Me:       (feels good)

I get that I'm kind cause I listen to her most of the time. I also try to be warm and friendly at school most of the time. I was just surprised that she's smelling me too. I'm glad someone appreciates my smell, though.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...