Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Let's Try Some Japanese Food!

More than two years in Japan and I don't know how to cook any Japanese food. (insert sad face) I'm in Japan so I didn't find any need to cook Japanese food. I can just go out my apartment, walk less than a hundred steps and buy some Japanese food from 7/11. If I'm craving for sushi, I just need to cycle in 10 minutes and I'll be eating at Kaiten Sushi. If I want some ramen, I just simply have to go to the station or grab my perpetual stock of cup noodles. So I guess you get it why I didn't find a need to learn how to cook Japanese food.

But not all foreigners are like me. I found this foreign blogger who tried cooking various Japanese food using Japanese Soul Cooking book. Check out the recipes and her experiences with the food below. (Just click the link on each food). She gives her own take and expressed useful commentaries on Japanese food.

1. Omurice- It's basically rice wrapped in egg. It's hard to go wrong with the taste of this dish. I tried cooking this once but it just looked fried rice with eggs. The eggs won't hold the rice. I didn't try again after the first time. You can buy omurice from any convenience stores. This is also a usual offering in the menu of restaurants. 
Omurice
photo credit: http://www.japanesecooking101.com/omurice-recipe/

2. Sesame Karaage- Karaage is Japan's version of fried chicken. Instead of the familiar drumsticks, Japan's friend chicken is chopped in smaller parts usually from the chicken's thighs. A great variety of this fried chicken is the Sesame version. The chopped parts are sweetened and covered in sesame seeds. This is commonly serve in school. Like the omurice, you can also buy it from any convenience stores and on the food section of supermarkets. In restaurants, karaage is best served with alcohol.
Karaage (Japanese Fried Chicken)
Karaage- Japanese fried chicken
photo credit: http://www.latestrecipes.net/2012/09/30/karaage-japanese-fried-chicken/


3. Ebi Chili- Ebi means shrimp in Japanese. This dish is made of shrimps with tangy spicy sauce. This is also a common serving in the school lunch. I'm not sure if this is available in convenience stores but you can find this in supermarkets. Also, this is  not as common in restaurants as karaage and omurice.

Ebi Chili
photo credit: http://createeathappy.blogspot.jp/2013/02/how-to-make-ebi-chili-chile.html

4. Pork Gyoza- Gyoza is not originally from Japan but the Japanese love it nonetheless. In fact, Hamamatsu is known to serve the best gyoza in Japan. Although I'm not a fan of gyoza, I eat a lot of it when it's served. You can always buy pre-made gyoza in supermarkets and just fry them at home. But still, it wouldn't hurt if you can make your own.

Gyoza
photo credit: https://thegourmetandthebaby.wordpress.com/tag/gyoza/



5. Tan Tan Men- This is spicy noodle soup originally from China. This is perfect for the winter weather but I don't like it. It's not because it tastes bad but I don't like spicy food. More so, spicy soup. But I'd still recommend that you try it even once.

Tan Tan Men
photo credit: http://www.goramen.com/2010/07/bassanova-staff-party.html


For More Japanese Food Recipes, check out this book:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...