Friday, November 21, 2014

Why My Heart is in School?

photo credit: http://mommywrites.blogspot.jp/2010_08_01_archive.html
If I were rich, I'd use a large portion of my money supporting students. If I were poor, I'd find a way to support at least one student. No matter how much I earn, I vowed to myself I will do my part, big or small, to help send someone to school.

I'm from a lower middle class family with 6 other siblings. My parents can't afford to take us on trips or buy us things that would expose us to a bigger world. Schools did that for us. We had our first computer when I was already in 3rd year high school. The priciest gift my parents gave us was an encyclopedia set paid in installments. We had the streets if we want to go beyond our small home. We had a TV if we want to see other things. The environment I grew up in is limited and I would have stayed limited if I didn't go to school.

School opened an exciting world for me. I learned that the world I live in is a small part of vastness. There are other worlds to see, other lives to live. I don't have to settle in my small home, in my small life. I can do more and be more if I want. 

School also developed my confidence. The small successes in learning, the problems I figured out in math, and the tests I passed gave me small doses of confidence. I may not easily figure out the value of x but I can explain what a transitive verb is. I can't get an A with my artwork but I can narrate history like it happened yesterday. School showed me my weakness but it also affirmed my strength. School showed me that I may not have a lot of things but I can develop a lot of skills. 

I gained the courage to challenge the world in school. I didn't come from great schools. I studied elementary in a small school which is closed now. I graduated from a public high school suffering from overpopulation, lack of facilities and sometimes substandard teaching. My chances of success in life is so slim I might be forgiven for not trying. But I went to school and I must have learned something that the top universities in the country gave me a chance. Studying in the top university opened doors for me I didn't imagine being there.

Without pride, I think I'm successful. It's not because I can now go beyond the streets outside our small home. It's not because I can do now what the people on TV do. I think I'm successful because I went against the odds. I'm now a productive citizen earning my keep in an honest way. I could attribute it to hard work and determination. I've been working since high school to help myself in school. But these did not only help me. A number of people supported me along the way. I thank my aunts and uncles who loaned us money for tuition fees and school allowances. I thank a politician who granted me 2 years of scholarship in the university. I thank my employers who gave me a chance to earn even when I wasn't the most qualified. And I always thank God for blessing me with all I need so I can finish school.

Because of these, I desire to help those who needed a crutch in their education. Since 2009, I've been supporting World Vision. In as little as 600 pesos/ 12 USD/ 1200 Yen a month, I can help a child go to school. I believe that a lot of children only needed a little help, a little hope to keep them going. I believe how these children can be so much more than they are now if only they can go to school. I believe that someday those same children will be writing their own stories of success and giving back to their own communities. I wasn't a sponsored child of World Vision but what they do is in line to what my heart desires.

I've written my own story to hopefully inspire others to help children go to school. I'm personally endorsing World Vision but there are other organizations out there. Your sacrifice of one meal in a restaurant goes a long way for a child in need. I'm sure everyone can say something against school and educational systems. I have my own  complaints, too. But what institution can you think, in which children have a chance of success in life? We could also go and blame the government and other institutions for rampant poverty. But people have done that through the ages and poverty will always be there. Even the world's richest countries have poor people. Someone will always need help wherever you go. So as for me, I chose to stop blaming and do something. What I do is not much but I believe that whatever I'm doing is like a seed. It's small but it will grow and flourish in its perfect season.

I hope you can join me in planting seeds and give the gift of education this Christmas. 

Check out World Vision's Sponsor a Child Program:

https://www.worldvision.org/

PS: I'm not asked nor paid by World Vision to endorse their program. They don't need me to do that. I've written this out of my own convictions. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...