Saturday, December 6, 2014

Fun Christmas Lesson Idea: Let's Sing Some Carols!

christmas carols
image credits; http://www.only4ukids.com/festivals/christmas/christmas_carols.shtml



Christmas is not a big thing in Christmas but some teachers would ask the ALT to give a Christmas lesson. When I was asked to give a Christmas lesson on my first year, I want to show how wonderful Christmas is.

Personally, I feel Christmas is in the air when the carols start to play. Sadly in Japan, all I usually hear is Taylor Swift's version of "Last Christmas" and Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You." The students were surprised to know that there are many many Christmas Carols aside from the two pop Xmas songs and We Wish You a Merry Christmas. So aside from doing what I want- that is to listen to carols, this lesson is also a great chance to expose students to classic Christmas carols.


Christmas Lesson Idea: Match the Picture
(Suggestions for a better activity name are welcome)

Materials:
A. 6 sets of cards with the following images: 
a. Santa
b. reindeer
c. Christmas bells and mistletoe
d. Christmas manger
e. angels
f. snowman

B. Playlist of Christmas carols which mention the images on the card
Here's the playlist I've been using:
a. Jingle Bells (bells)
b. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus (Santa)
c. Frosty the Snowman (snowman)
d. Silent Night (manger)
e. Hark the Herald (angels)
f. Jingle Bell Rock (bells)
g. Here Comes Santa Claus (Santa)
h. Angels We Have Heard on High (angels)
i. Jolly Old St. Nicholas (Santa)
j. O Holy Night! (manger)
k. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (reindeer)
l. Silver Bells (bells)
m. Deck the Halls (bells)

You can make your own playlist, of course. I've been using these because they match the cards I've made.

C. Other Things You'll Need
You'd need a player and a speaker in the classroom when you have this lesson.
I've saved the songs in laptop I used in school and I bring normal computer speakers.

D. How to Do
1. Group the students into 6 or more groups depending on their number.
    Even small classes can do this. I just usually follow the school's lunch group of 6 per class.
2. Give each group a set of cards.
3. Play a song's first 2 lines or first stanza. It depends on you, really.
    While the song is playing, the students have to think which picture best matches the song.
4. Once the song stopped, a student for each group has to raise the card of their answer.
    Another variation is to ask the students to post the card on the board. In this case, you have to put
    magnets in the back of your cards.
5. They cannot change their answers because the answers are really easy.

E. Scoring System: 

I've used two kinds of scoring:

First, I'd give 1 point to each group that answered correctly. Then, I'll give an additional 1 point to the first group who answered. This is okay if you ask the students to post the answers on the board.

The second one is fun but sounds complicated. I drew a three-layered Christmas tree on the blackboard and pasted  12 flat Christmas balls. Each ball has a corresponding bonus point. After everyone got 1 point. I'd ask one group (per song) to pick a ball. Whatever bonus is there, they can get it. It's up to you how generous you want for the scoring.

This is what I've been using:
a. 1 for you (1 bonus point to another group)
b. 1 for me (1 bonus point for the person's group)
c. 1 for all (1 bonus point for all groups)
d. 2 for 2 (2 bonus points for the person's group and another group)
e. Christmas three (3 points either to be shared or just for the group)

The second scoring system takes time to explain but it's really fun once the students understand.

F. Sing the Carols

This game takes about 30-40 minutes. In a few instances when there's still time, I'd ask everyone to sing a carol with actions. Jingle Bells and We Wish You a Merry Christmas are fun and easy to do!

I've done this only in Junior High School and this has never failed. I'm not sure if this can work for elementary but you can always try!

Have fun singing and have a Merry Christmas!

Happy teaching, too!

PS: If you need cards and songs, you can send me an email for a copy. It's great to share something this season!

Want other Christmas Lesson Ideas? Check these sites: 

Christmas Teaching Ideas

Christmas Lessons and Teachers Resources

December Holiday Lesson Plans



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...