Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Why the Japanese Live Longer

Giant Buddha at Kanaya, Shimada
Long time no write.

I had some pains on my right hand so I gave it a rest from typing.

Now that I'm feeling a little better, I will let you on to the Japanese secret of long life.

Their secret is really no secret at all. But the Japanese are just more observant of what science says to have long lives namely- healthy food, regular exercise and a safe environment.

Healthy Food

The blander the taste, the more natural the food. The more natural the food, the healthier it is.
Well, Japanese food is generally bland. Pickled vegetables are commonly served every meal. Meat is served in small chunks. Fish is also eaten often. I'm not saying that Japanese food is all-healthy and natural. But compared to dishes of other countries, Japanese food is comparatively healthy.

Most Japanese also regularly eat miso soup and natto. They are Japanese food that have been researched to have great health benefits. I don't really like them esp. natto but I eat them when it's served in the school.

Speaking of school lunch, the Japanese have great nutritional foundation because of the school lunch. From kindergarten to junior high school, the Japanese have been eating food especially prepared by a nutritionist. A typical school lunch is a highly-balanced meal of carbs, protein, carbohydrates and veggies. Milk is also served. It's also observable that the younger Japanese generation are taller and bulkier in build.

Regular Exercise

I like going to the gym. I try to spend at least an hour a day working out or doing yoga or swimming. But my physical routine is nothing compared to how the Japanese people grew up. In junior high school, most students are engaged in a sport. They have practices almost everyday for at least 2 hours even on weekends. My students are more buffed and toned compared to my other ALT friends. For the adult Japanese, a lot of them go to the gym. The frail-looking Japanese ladies can lift more weights than I do. Some also jog and walk regularly around the parks even on winter days and nights. For people who have no time, walking and cycling are part of the Japanese life so they're not totally static. In a nutshell, the Japanese move a lot all throughout their life.

Safe Environment

I included safety because what's the use of a healthy body when you're in war zone? There's still a  high chance of death. Just think about the soldiers. In the case of the Japanese, they live in the 8th Safest Country in the World. Laws are strict and people are generally disciplined. Crimes do happen from time to time but there's a general atmosphere of security. Because there's only a very low chance of being robbed, murdered, injured, assaulted, etc, the Japanese live longer.

So if you want to live longer, eat like the Japanese and move like the Japanese. It would also greatly help if you'll live to Japan.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...