Monday, July 6, 2015

For ALT's: Keys to Teaching Well with Japanese Teachers

Mother-Baby Crying Bears at Odaiba
ALT stands for Assistant Language Teacher. 
Because an ALT is an assistant in the Japanese classroom, there's a Main Teacher. 
The Main Teacher is a Japanese Teacher who is believed to be competent enough to teach English. They are called JTE. How competent the JTE's are to teach English is a possible point of contention. (I'll write on it next year when I'm done with my job.hehe!)

JTE's are expected to teach with ALT's at least once a week. However, to what extent should they work together depends largely on the JTE. 

Here are the types of "team teaching" of ALT-JTE in Japan:

  • ALT teach during the whole class period while the JTE stands at the back of the room. The JTE will only help when asked. 
  • ALT  do the reverse- they stand at the back of the room and will only help when the JTE request for assistance. 
  • ALT  is given half of the class time. I like this kind of ALT-JTE team teaching. I get to teach but half the effort.
  • But my favorite is when the ALT and JTE actually teach as a team. It's when I can rely on the JTE to support me and when the JTE can also depend on me to deliver a great lesson.
I've worked with more than 10 JTE's in my 3 years in Japan but I've only experienced consistent great team teaching with 3 JTE's. Because of this, they're my favorite JTE's, unsurprisingly.

So what makes a good ALT-JTE tandem for team teaching?
Here are the common things I noticed with  my 3 favorite JTE's: 

1. The JTE teaches the grammar while the ALT reinforces the lesson with activities.

ALT trainers will say that the ALT should find ways on how to teach grammar effectively. In 3 years that I was teaching, nothing is more effective than when the JTE does it. What would take me 20 minutes to explain, will only take 5 minutes for the JTE before the students understand it. This is also minus the confusion and frustration. I think my 3 JTE's know this. They spare me from the all the drama of teaching and learning grammar. They would teach the grammar days before I teach with them. Then, what I only have to do is review the grammar point and implement practice activities. We all have fun this way.  

2. The JTE and the ALT do the demonstrations together. 

When the students see that the JTE is involved in the lesson, the students are more involved too. They don't treat my class as an extra class they have to tolerate. They see it as a part of their actual English classes. In the same way, when the students see the the JTE is not involved in the class, they think that the class with the ALT is not as important as their English class sessions. The involvement of the JTE is a powerful influence to make students participate in the classes. 

3. The JTE can act as a facilitator of the activities. 

The ALT is usually the one who has to come up with fun activities. But even if the ALT is the mastermind behind the activities, great JTE's know how to facilitate the activities themselves. Maybe you're wondering why the JTE has to sometimes act as a facilitator? In some instances, the ALT has to join the students in doing the activity. In some cases, the ALT has to prepare materials for the next activity. Whatever the reason is, I noticed how my favorite 3 JTE's can easily step into my role as facilitator when needed. 

4. The JTE only translates in Japanese when needed. 

Some JTE's think that their role is a translator when the ALT is around. This is not true. As much as possible, it's better to use English during the whole class time. However, there are times when using Japanese cannot be helped. Knowing when to translate is a good gauge of how well an ALT can teach with the JTE. I noticed that my 3 JTE's would only translate in two situations- when I'm explaining something important or when we're pressed for time.  

5. The JTE and the ALT has a good sense on when and how to help each other. 

A good JTE-ALT tandem does not try to outdo or undo each other. A great JTE knows how to manage the class for this is where the ALT needs the most help. Great JTE's also know when to provide teaching support like when the ALT cannot explain the activity clearly or when the students are not motivated enough. In the same way, an ALT must be sensitive enough when the JTE needs help such as when providing examples and definitions, spelling words and helping students write compositions.

When the JTE and the ALT can teach well together, the class is more motivated and more participative. As the saying goes, two heads are better than one.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...