Tuesday, November 17, 2015

How to Buy Eye Glasses from JINS Without Using Much Japanese

credit: JINS site on AEON MALL Fukuoka
After 2 years, I finally get to have new eyeglasses! If you're like me who needs to eyeglasses to see clearly, I bet you can understand the happiness a new pair brings. And I'm proud of myself because I bought it from a Japanese store

If you're in need of eyeglasses and don't know how to speak in Japanese, fear not.  You can still have the dazzling vision you wanted without using much Japanese.

I'll be recommending Jins because that's where I bought my eyeglasses. Also, most of my students got their glasses from Jins. It's a chain that can be found all over Japan. Their eyeglasses are affordable compared  to other stores. In Hamamatsu, there's a Jins store in the Station.

Here are my tips:

1. Find a Jins Eyeglass store. Choose a frame that you like. Their most affordable frames with lens included is worth 4,900 Yen. They also have lens for people who use the computer all the time. They also have colored lenses.

2. Go to the staff and say, "New Eyeglasses. " In Japanese, "Atarashi Megane." This Japanese is not really good but it will do. They'll understand what you want.

3. If you're already an eyeglass-wearer, they'll ask for your glasses. They'll check the lens before getting your eye check.

4. They'll check your eyes. This is the part where you might use a little Japanese. The staff will ask you if you can read hiragana or katakana. You can just say, "Nihongo Yumenai" or "Japanese, can't read." Instead of a hiragana chart, the staff will show you u-shaped symbols. You have to say where the opening is- left, right, up, down.  You can use those terms to indicate whether the symbols are inclined to the left, right, up, down. What I did is use my index finger and thumb and form the shapes I see on the machine.

5. After the u-shaped symbols, the next test is a color test. There are only two colors- red and green. The staff  will just ask you which color is clearer. You can say red, green or both. If both colors are not clear you can say, "Mi-ye-nay."  This means, I can't see.

6. After the test, wait for 20 minutes and then you can have your new eyeglasses! I bought my new pair in less than an hour. However, some people might have to go back if they don't have your prescription which seldom happens.

The best thing about Jins is you can change your eyeglasses twice within 6 months from buying them. You don't even have to justify your reason. As long as the eyeglasses you bought are still in good shape, they'll change it. I change mine the day after I bought a new pair from them. My reason: My husband told me that the frames I chose look big. They also have a one-year warranty for their frames and lens. Really good deal, I think.

If you can't find a Jins shop in your area, you can buy your glasses online here.  JINS have an English version of their site so there's absolutely no reason for you not to have the eyeglasses you need.

More helpful reading here:

Q&A: Opticians, Glasses in Japan

Getting Glasses in Japan

Buying Glasses Cheaply in Tokyo

Where to Get Cool, Affordable Glasses in  Japan


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...