Sunday, September 7, 2014

Speech on the Junior High School Speech Contest in Japan


Greetings everyone! 

Tomorrow, one of my students will compete in the annual Junior High School Speech Contest. All speeches will be in English. This is part of MEXT's aim to make English relevant in schools. 

On paper, this speech contest seems really like a good idea. It gives an avenue for students who like English to showcase their speaking skills. But that's only on paper. The reality of this speech contest is not really encouraging. At least, based on my experience for the past three years.

Here are things I hope can be improved:

First is the selection process. 

The student who will represent the school is selected by the English teachers. They ask 3rd grade students from each class to audition. And by audition, it means the student has to read something from their English textbook. This is a far cry from what they're really be doing for the actual contest. What I notice is that the students that teachers choose are school leaders. I can understand why they'd choose students leaders- they're reliable and easy to work with. 

The problem is, as an ALT, I know that there are other students who are far better in English than the 'chosen one'. Their pronunciation is clearer and they have a genuine desire to speak English. However, these students are quiet and not the ones on the teachers radar so they're not picked nor even encouraged to audition. 

This selection process subtly exhibits the dynamics in a Japanese school. Students leaders play a big role in the schools' operations- from planning events to student discipline. They are expected to do things including joining the speech contest even if they're not keen on doing it. At the same time, it's also noticeable that students who can actually speak English really well try not to show it. I've been surprised many times by how well some quiet students can carry a good conversation in English. So why do they diminish their English-speaking abilities? My theory is that they're afraid to be labeled 'uncool.' English is like how Math and Science nerds are made fun of in other culture. I can't blame the kids if they want to hide this secret power to avoid being bullied. 

Second is the preparation for the contest.

There are two categories in the speech contest- the Recitation and the Speech. Student joining the recitation category only needs to choose a piece from an English textbook, memorize it then interpret it come contest day. Students joining the speech category have to write their speech on any topic, memorize it then deliver it on the contest day. 

Ideally, contestants are to spend their summer vacation memorizing their speeches. But then most 3rd grade students in Japan go to juku (cram schools) in summer. They spend about 4-6 hours in jukus almost everyday. Some contestants also have to join sports competition.  When they get back to school in September, they also have to practice for the Sports Festival.  Not only that, they also have to take a prefectural test on the first week. Talk about stress! I truly admire the contestants for finding the time to practice their speech. 

All the things that these students are expected to do makes the speech contest a burden. It's like something that they have to do to just get over with. The joy of being able to speak in English is lost. Even the teachers don't seem to expect anything from the contestant based on how lax the practice is. They just need someone to send to the competition. If he wins, good. If he lost, not a big deal. Because I love words and I love English, I just feel sad about this. 

Last, the judging method. 

If  I were to judge the speech contest, I'd evaluate the speeches based on pronunciation and clarity, coherence of the topic, and overall impact. I'm not the judge though so the contestants just have to gauge their speech based on the actual judges' expectations which, for me, are unrealistic. 

I think students who actually write their own speeches won't win. I attended the actual contest last year and the winners used really lofty and impressive words. I'm pretty sure their ALT's wrote their speeches. There's a fine line between editing and rewriting. I can't blame ALT's who rewrite, they just want to help their students the best way they can. 

Also,  the judges have said that topic makes or breaks the speech. I somehow understand this. Maybe they're encouraging students to think something unique. But seriously, what's wrong with writing something close to the students' hearts like their clubs (which they do everyday), or their friends or their school experiences or whatever their hobbies are? Why force students to think of world peace and global warming or something abstract which they don't really understand? My point is: Great speeches are insightful speeches regardless of the topic. 

I know this speech is just one of the thousands murmurs about Japan and English. It may not be distinct nor remarkable. But at least, it added to the volume of voices clamoring for improvement. 

Tomorrow, my student will compete in the speech contest. All my best wishes are with him. I'll be happy if he wins but more than that, I hope he'll find the confidence in speaking English. For this is what English is - It gives you the confidence to communicate with people. 

Thank you and have a great day!



A heartwarming and humanizing movie of a royalty struggling to speak in public: 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...